Chapter 17

I walked into our meeting room, ready for the first day of the games. Captain stood in front of the group of students. "You're gonna make their dicks so hard they can't compete," Joseph said when he saw me. I rolled my eyes at him. "Now that we're all here, let's discuss some things," The Captain said, catching all of our attention. "This year the Games are going to be very different. For starters for the obstacle course, they're allowing you to use weapons. The Warrior Council wouldn't tell us why, but we didn't question it. Also during the combat, they're allowing you to use your abilities." He then looked at me, "They also insist you take Collin's place in the combat portion, Cleo. Think you're up for it?" I nodded, "I am." He nodded, "Good. Now let's go over what else has been changed. They have extended the tournament by a few days. They have a day between today and the combat day to allow you all to rest. They also added another day of contests. This third day is for team building exercises. They haven't given us any reason as to why they have changed things up, so don't bother asking. However I need you all to be on your guard. I've noticed they tripled the amount of Healers that are in attendance. The Games this year will be unlike any we've seen before. So good luck out there."

After that, it was time for the Games to start. I walked out on to the field, a whip hanging from my hip. I received several whistles from the stands and those who were competing in this round. I ignored them though.

Soon the Warrior Council took to their chairs and all cameras turned towards them. "Our student warriors have already been informed but it is time to inform those of you sitting at home. This year the Games are far more dangerous, as well as being held for longer. We will now have a resting day between each contest day and we have now added in a third contest day. The third day is filled team contests. We want to test their abilities to work with others and to strategize. We have also changed our point system. We will give ten points for however comes in first for the competitions but we also have another point system where we are grading you on the true meaning of being a warrior. This year will surely be a special one. Now let the games begin."

"Alright, this year the first competition is the obstacle course. You must run a full lap around the arena. However, this year it is filled with monsters and traps. It is very possible you will die, so keep your wits about you," An announcer told us. Then he fired a gun, signaling the start of the obstacle course.

I bolted out of the arena gate and was met with a dense forest. I slowed to a walk, watching as the werewolves and vampires shoot into the forest head on. The witches spelled themselves a path. I looked down and noticed a faint line hidden in the grass. I crouched down and moved the grass. It was a deep line, that seemed to curve the further I followed it. It was clear, this was the first trap.

The line began to glow and I moved back. Suddenly screams could be heard inside the forest. I kept an eye on the line till I was past it, after it curved into the woods. Something told me, it would be best to no longer avoid the woods. I stared at the grass, noticing not even a breeze was moving the blades. I stepped into the woods and it was another atmosphere in general. It was a race, but something told me it wasn't about speed, but about survival skill.

I walked through the woods keeping the wall of the arena in sight so I knew I was going in the right direction. I could hear the sounds of fighting going on towards the left of me and ahead. Snarls from beasts could be heard as well. That was never a good sign. I picked up my pace, wanting to put myself as far from the fighting as possible.

Suddenly the ground began to shake. When a tree not far behind me fell, I ran.

Joseph's POV

Standing in the arena watching the events happen on the big screen was excruciating. There were beasts of all kind hunting in that forest. They took out half of the runners so easily. We watched as the camera zoomed in on Cleo. "So far Cleo Norse has managed to avoid several traps, putting her in the lead," the announcer said. "However it seems her luck has run out."

A dragon appeared and went to slash at Cleo. She jumped out of the way while unclasping her whip from her hip. "Not even a seasoned warrior can face a dragon alone," Captain Alec grumbled. "What the hell are they thinking?"

I stayed quiet, jaw clenched as we watched. The dragon swung its tail, and Cleo braced herself for it. She caught, only sliding a few a feet with it in her grasp. She then changed how she held the tail and began to spin, dragging the dragon. She increased her speed and the dragon became air born. She then let go and it flew into the side of the arena. Many who were on that side fell when it shook with the force of the impact. She then bolted, trying to put as much distance between her and the beast.

None of us cheered though because it wasn't over yet. Others from the other schools talked about her strength as they watched. When she, and several others made it out of the woods they were greeted with the next obstacle course. "It seems a few have now stumbled upon our minefield," the announcer declared.

One of the guys went to step out onto the minefield, but Cleo pulled him back. She looked at one of the guys we had seen in the videos Azazel had shown us. He then put up domes around each of them, except Cleo. She then raised her arms and brought them down, so her fists hit the ground. A dome appeared over her instantly as every mine exploded. "Beauty, brains, and strength, talk about a triple threat," the announcer said with a slight chuckle.

They then began to make their way through the field that had been blown to hell. They were still cautious as they went through, in case she didn't set them all off. Once past the field they began to run.

Next the ground began to shake beneath them. Several fell down as they made their way around the course. Spikes were then being thrown from nowhere. Cleo tried dodging them all but with the ground throwing off her balance it became nearly impossible. I was clenching my fists so hard, my nails caused my palms to bleed. A spear grazed the side of her neck and a steady stream of blood began it's way down her neck.

She took her whip out and began to do a flurry of movements, allowing her whip to knock away the oncoming spears. Unfortunately it made her trapped. The spears then picked up speed. She was grazed in her thigh, side, and one was headed for her chest. "Cleo!" Many of us called out. Suddenly someone was in front of her. Another behind her, grabbed her. They bolted forward, both of them running. Another joined in and threw up a magic shield to help them get through.

Once past they sat her down. Another came up and shocked us all when he began to heal her. She had a smile on her face as they spoke. He seemed to say something that had her laughing. A few others that had been with her at the mine field gathered. They began to talk and discuss. Once Cleo was healed she stood and took off her blood soaked jacket. She pulled out a pair of gloves from her pocket and slipped them on. They all began to run, working as a team to try and get through the rest of the course.

They were panting by the time they made it through the entrance. Cleo, in a very Cleo fashion decided to flip off the Warrior Council, "Fucking shit heads, what the hell was the point of a race like that?" "To test you," Was the reply she was given. She went to vent more but one of the guys who was from our school picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. She cursed and yelled until she was out of sight.

I looked around and noticed several of the full fledged warriors seemed a little thrown off by the course. "If the course was changed to be this life threatening then how was the rest of the games changed," I asked Azazel. "I don't know if I want to find out," he muttered. I don't think I want to know either.