Late realizations

Aki lay on his side as he read the reviewer he made for the exam tomorrow. He had to read a single line for five times now as he kept on nodding off. Sleeping for only four hours every night for almost a week now was taking a toll on his body.

'Should I sleep? I need a break.' Though he also knew that his break would extend to a two-hour nap if he did take it. Right now, every second count. Tomorrow is the last day of the exam. Just one more day before he could finally rest.

The thought somehow reinvigorated him as he rolled to lie on his back, sprawled on the storage room's floor. Ever since he discovered this room, Liam allowed him to come and stay inside, granted Aki would not touch the paintings.

As he lay there, his eyes caught sight of those covered paintings in the corner. Liam did not specifically say which painting he meant so Aki automatically assumed that everything should not be touched. But now that he thought about it, he had a feeling that his roommate meant not touching those paintings. He was curious, that was for sure. But he had already tested his luck when he came inside, he did not dare test it twice. If Liam wanted him to know, he would have let Aki see it. But he did not. And Aki was too lazy to move right now even if he wanted to.

He looked away before he got more tempted when his eyes landed on the box full of camera equipment. A smile involuntarily crept on his face. Liam told him that he bought them to use on his vacation to the country.

"Would you like to go with me and visit my hometown?" Liam asked.

"Yes!" Aki grinned. That was a no-brainer. Seeing all those beautiful landscapes made him want to see them in person. Not to mention, visiting the place where Liam grew up was a huge plus. Though he did not say that their plan would only be plausible if he did not have to take a summer class. He silently vowed to pass all of his exams so as not to take a remedial class.

Looking at all of these things made Aki mi-- think, it made him 'think' of his roommate. Liam had not been home for a week. His grandmother seemed to have improved and he told Aki that he might be able to come home soon. When, Aki did not know.

Aki rolled again on to his stomach as he grabbed his phone.

No text. No call. Was Liam okay? Was everything okay?

He tried to ignore the dejected feeling that sprung up inside him. With nothing better to do with his phone, he checked his feed and scroll through his timeline. Nothing caught his attention until he saw a post.

Someone posted a photo and tagged Liam. In the picture, he was posing with a girl. Nothing sweet or revealing, just the two of them standing side by side and smiling at the camera. It was not even something new as many girls wanted to take a picture with Liam. Aki would not have stopped if not for the comments on the post.

Woooow! ❤️

😏😏😏

Something's fishy~~

Are you back together?

Those were some of the messages Aki read and he could read no more. The words seemed to burn his eyeballs.

'So it was like that huh? The mysterious ex-girlfriend.'

He laughed soundlessly. 'Why should I care? It's not like I like Liam. He can date anyone he wants.'

There was a sharp pain in his chest the dulled the rest of his senses as if protesting to his thoughts.

'Alright, maybe I have a tiny bit of a crush on him.' He groaned at his own admission. Whatever happened to not again, never again?

He rolled his shoulders as if the movement could also untie the knots of his tangled feelings. It was just a crush. He would put a stop to these feelings before it was too late. But to get his heart broken again right after he realized his feelings were a little too cruel...