One

Chapter One:

"Did you know most serial killers are born in November?"

Theodora blinked slowly, her eyes focused on the busy streets ahead of her. People shoved past them, but she managed to glare away anybody from actually touching her. Her gaze flickered to the man walking beside her, a grey trench coat fluttering dramatically behind him in the wind.

"I don't believe that."

He sighed, "Good. I read it off the front page of some random teen magazine."

"You read Teen magazines?"

His dark brows knitted together, "No. I was waiting in line at the grocery store and the bright pink cover caught my attention."

Theodora rolled her eyes, "Sure, Mal. Whatever help's you sleep at night."

"How many times have I told you to stop calling me that."

"Don't remember."

They stopped at a street corner, waiting patiently until the light turned red and the blinking white figure appeared. They continued their way down the street, "It's been about 100." He told her, "Or more, probably."

They fell into silence, lasting for over ten minutes until they stopped at a completely ordinary looking building.

"You really don't know why they called you in for a meeting?" She questioned staring up at the modern architecture mixed in with the old and crumbling buildings that lined the streets. "Do you want me to go up with you?"

Malcolm shook his head, a foot landing on the first step. "No. They won't let you in anyways, you know that."

"I could be an F.B.I Agent if I wanted." Theodora protested, then proceeded to give her friend the finger as he ignored her, passing through the double doors and into the building.

She huffed, staring at the doors for a few more minutes until she turned and took off down the street. He'd be awhile, depending on what the meeting was about. Though Malcolm made it sound as if it was going to be dreadful, she was hopeful it would be something good. Like a promotion, she told him when they had briefly spoke about it on the way there.

A flashing OPEN sign caught her eyes and Theodora walked up to the small restaurant and slid through the door. A women appeared, bright eyed and giddy. Her eyes flickered behind her to a young man who only smirked, and Theodora had to cough loudly to gain her attention again.

"Can I order take out?"

"We don't do that, Miss." The women replied, "I can grab you a table for... erm, one?"

Theodora pursed her lips and shook her head, saying nothing as she turned around.

"Wait!" The young women called, causing her to turn around once more. "I'm sorry— I didn't mean to offend you."

"I'm not offended." Theodora said curtly, ignoring the glance the women sent behind her to that same man. She sighed, "Who's the guy?"

The women blinked slowly, clearly taken a back. "Who?"

Theodora studied the women, eyes trailing the path she had taken up to get to the stand, then chuckled. "The man you had exited the bathroom with."

"Excuse me?"

A step back, "Next time you want to do that in a public restaurant, keep the trail of clothes to a minimum and maybe don't keep looking at him with that look in your eyes."

The women's mouth formed a straight line, and Theodora could tell she was contemplating throwing her out.

"I'll leave before you start screaming at me. But it would be a shame if you lost your job within the next few days—"