3

Clary huffs deeply as she walks down the hall, as we had just entered the Institute, "How can Shadowhunters be better than than what you people call mundanes?"

Isabelle crosses her arms, "Because we protect humans."

"You're right- humans, you protect humans." Clary repeats, shaking her head, "You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

Alec stood tall, holding back an eye roll, "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

"Alec, not now." I sigh deeply, "Look, they won't do anything to Simon."

"Zee's right, they just wanted to draw you out." Jace nods in agreement, "They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But- why do they think that- why does anyone think that?" Clary blurts out, "What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." What am I supposed to do now?"

Alec walks past us, "We have to report to the Clave. They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"Alec!" I chased after him, the others following us.

"What, that he's my father?" Clary joined in before I could protest, "Great, fine, tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Have you not realized it's all connected? The Cup is at the center of it." I crossed my arms, "The vampires want the Cup."

"Why?" Clary questions, "It makes new Shadowhunters."

Alec leans against the wall, "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself."

Isabelle additionally speaks, "Plus, it controls demons."

"They'll propose a trade." Jace looks at me, "Simon for the Cup."

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup." Clary huffs deeply once more, "Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

Alec seemed annoyed by her, "So this doesn't matter to you?"

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary bursts, then looks at me, "Listen- when you saved my life I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me- I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true." Isabelle slowly nods, "She was raised as a mundane."

Alec rolls his eyes, "What are you, her spokesman now?"

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary walks away from us and through the Ops Center, "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens- I mean, can any of this help me find Simon?"

Alec, Isabelle, Jace and I don't reply as we followed her, surrounding the nearest table.

"Where is he, anyway?" Clary looked at us, "Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

"Actually, no- that was Camille's outfit, right?" Jace's lips turned up in amusement and I just knew he was getting a kick out of this, "They're locals."

Isabelle sat on the table by the chair I stood behind, "They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street."

"And we came back here- why?" Clary rushed us and became demanding, "We have to go there, let's go, now- come on."

"First order of business, you don't call the shots." I lean elbows against the chair I stood in front of, "And, we need a Clave resolution for that."