Chapter 60: Little Wildflower

Fanmade cover by Shaina Mae Navarro

"I really don't want to go to the woods. Let's just stay in the castle."

Dorothy was playing with Roger by the balcony. She was caressing its soft, grey fur and the feline seemed to be enjoying the gesture as it closes its blue eyes whenever her palm touches its body. It was actually a lovely sight: an innocent girl and her cat.

And I almost wanted to keep it that way and believe that she didn't really want to go to the woods. But after what she told me the past night about always going to the place where she lost her family, I knew that she was lying. No matter how child-like and innocent she looked like, she was still a mean, little liar.

"It's tea time and they're having a meeting. It's our chance now –and this might be the only one we'll ever have."

She was silent and thoughtful for a moment; staring at the thick and dark woods beyond the castle. There were longing and sadness in her eyes and it almost broke my heart when she looked back at me and let Roger on the floor.

"There might be no turning back once we leave the castle gates," she said.

I smiled at her. "Whatever you say, I'll still go with you. Who knows? Someone might end up crying in the woods," I teased.

She didn't answer; which lead me into thinking that it might be her intention to cry in the woods after all. We moved quickly and rode on one of the horses that were grazing under a tree. We were able to pass the back gates of the castle without intervention and as we galloped to the entrance of the woods; I couldn't help but sense a familiarity on my surroundings. It was like the woods remembered me and it was welcoming me back. It was urging me to go deeper and deeper; inviting me to search for its heart.

Dorothy remained silent behind me. She was still deep in her thoughts. I decided to touch her hands that were holding my waist to assure her and she leaned her head on my back as her response.

When we were deep enough in the woods and found a clearing, we decided to stop. She hopped down and wandered around. She looked anxious as she eyed every dark part between the trees. It had been a long time since we both visited the woods and I knew that we're both remembering a certain incident we didn't want to happen again.

"It's alright, Dorothy. No one's coming for us today. You can cry if you want to or even leave a message just in case your parents come around here looking for you. I'll just wait here."

I was about to go a little to the other direction when she suddenly hug me from behind. I knew that she was already crying because she was sniffing against my clothes. I turned around and wrap my arms around her.