Side Part 3 - Hallers

In a previous life...

I was a professional. One of the best.

I've always seen this as a good thing. I came from a family that had served the Duchy of Armeny for generations, I was born to run a household. It required knowledge, determination, and above all... professionalism.

"You're too cold." The young woman I courted told me, before leaving me for another man. "No one wants to be with a man who is just an empty shell."

I wished her well, confused, and continued on in my life.

"Tommy!" Jim, my brother, patted me on the back one day. "You have to loosen up! You can't just live for your work."

"Some of us care about our work." I frowned at his frivolous words. "Why should I change if I'm doing it well?"

He ran a hand through his disheveled hair, groaning. "Just... find something... someone... anything to care about. I promise, it will make you more human."

I ignored him, returning back to the duchy from my weekly home visit. Jim worked for the Royal Treasury, but his manners and demeanor left much to be desired. I saw little reason to take advice from him.

Someone to care about? It would just interfere with doing my job perfectly.

I thought this over as I entered the estate, when something ran into my legs, nearly knocking me over.

"What the..." I halted my words, looking at the wide-eyed child standing before me.

A young girl, with light hair and delicate features. She wore a dress incompatible with her age, decorated in frills, which was already covered in grass stains and dirt. In one hand was clutched a single red flower. Her eyes drew my attention; they were bright, intelligent, studying me closely.

I made a formal bow. "Young Miss, is there something I could help you with?"

This was of course the daughter of the Duke, Lady Lenora. She listened to my words, seeming to consider them carefully, before holding up the flower in her hand, offering it to me.

"For me?" At her nod, I took a slight step back. "I'm sorry miss, but I can't accept, it wouldn't be appropriate."

Her eyes dimmed, the flower in her hand shaking. Feeling an inexplicable panic, I offered a solution. "Why don't you give it the Duke or Duchess?"

"..." She stared at me silently for a few moments. "I tried."

The words were whispered, but the pain behind them struck me like a blow.

"You..." I couldn't say anything. I knew. The Duke treated her coldly, ignoring her existence except to buy her clothes and jewelry. The Duchess, on the other hand...

The flower in Lenora's hand was crushed slightly, missing multiple petals... had it been stepped on?

My heart aching, I reached out to take the flower from her, giving her a professional smile. "I will happily accept this gift, Miss."

Lenora didn't say a word, but a bright smile spread slowly, brightening up her face. I couldn't help but widen my own smile in response. As I felt my professional mask crack, I stepped away, confused.

What am I doing?

I gathered my self-composure, shaking my head slowly. I needed to be more careful.

____________________________

The Duchy was not doing well. The Duke spent all his time on his own interests, leaving all of the work to his subordinates. Rumors of theft and corruption abounded, many people lacked work and starved to death on the streets. The Duchess was frequently gone, spending extravagant amounts of money wherever she went. When she returned it was even more intolerable. She would abuse the maids, scream at the Duke, and the things she would say to her daughter... It was enough to make even my heart break.