Chapter 3: Dobby's Warning and Gilderoy Lockhart

2 weeks before term was to begin, Harry had an unexpected visitor. Harry had dinner and went upstairs. He was just entering his room, when he sees a creature jumping on his bed. He stops dead in the doorway and stares at the creature. The creature was about waist high. It had thin arms and legs, a pointy nose, big green tennis ball-size eyes and pointy ears. The creature wore what looks to be an old and worn looking pillow case, with 2 holes for the arms and a hole for his head. The creature spots Harry and stops jumping on the bed. The creature said, as his eyes widen, "Harry Potter! Such an honor it is! "Judging by the high squeaky voice, the creature was a male. Harry said, "Who are you?" The creature said, "Dobby, sir. Dobby the house elf." Harry said, "Why are you here. Dobby?" Dobby said, "Dobby has come to tell you.... It is difficult, sir. Dobby wonders where to begin." Harry said, "Why don't you sit down." Dobby looks surprised at Harry as tears begin to well up in his eyes. He said, "Sit down....? Sit down....?" Dobby starts to cry as he covers his face. Harry said, "Dobby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything." Dobby looks up at Harry and said, "Offend Dobby? Dobby has heard of your greatness sir, but never has he been asked to sit down by a wizard, like an equal." Harry said, "You can't have met many decent wizards then." Dobby said, "No, I haven't." Dobby grows worried and said, "That was an awful thing to say." He walks over to the dresser and starts banging his head against it, shouting, "Bad Dobby! Bad Dobby!" Harry panics as he tries to get Dobby to stop banging his head. Dobby finally finishes as he turns around and grabs his head. Harry said, "Are you alright, Dobby?" Dobby said, "Dobby had to punish himself, sir. Dobby almost spoke ill of his family, sir." Harry said, "You're family?" Dobby said, "The wizard family Dobby serves, sir." Dobby climbs onto the chair by Harry's desk. He continues, "Dobby is bound to serve one family forever. If they ever knew Dobby was here.... Oooooo.... But Dobby had to come. Dobby has to protect Harry Potter. To warn him. Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year. There is a plot, a plot to make most terrible things happen." Harry said, "What terrible things? Whose plotting them?" Dobby said, "I can't say....Don't make me talk...." Harry said, "Okay, I understand. You can't say." The house elf jumps onto the desk and grabs one of Harry's book. He starts to hit himself over the head with the book, as he shouts, "Bad Dobby! Bad Dobby!" Harry said, "Dobby! Put my book down!"

Snape, who has just finished cleaning the dishes, heard the commotion coming from Harry's room. Snape, with his wand at the ready, left the kitchen and went upstairs. He heads to Harry's room and enters. He stops dead in the doorway as he sees a house elf in Harry's room. Harry finally manages to stop Dobby from hitting himself over the head with the book as he takes the book from him. Snape said, "What is this house elf doing in your room, Harry?" Dobby looks at Snape and bows as he said, "Master Snape, Dobby is pleased to see you, sir." Harry said, "You know my dad, Dobby?" Dobby nods, "Dobby knows him well, sir. Dobby always made tea for him, when he visits." Harry looks back at his dad and said, "Well, Dobby said that I shouldn't go back to school. That terrible things are going to happen there. That someone is plotting something. He couldn't tell me who, dad. When I asked him, he started hitting himself over the head with one of my books." Snape looks at the house elf and said, "Dobby, who is plotting to harm Harry?" Dobby said once again, "I can't say...." He looks around wildly for something to hit himself with. Snape quickly walks the length of the room and grabs both of Dobby's wrists. Snape said, with authority, "I forbid you to hit yourself with any object. Is that clear?" Dobby nods, "Yes, Master Snape. Dobby won't harm himself." Snape lets go eyeing him and said, "Who is plotting to harm my son, Dobby?" Dobby lowers his head as he said, "Master Malfoy, sir." Snape said, "Lucius?" Dobby nods, "Yes, Master Snape." Snape knew that Dobby would punish himself, when he got back to the manor. Snape said, "What is Lucius plotting, Dobby?" Dobby said, "To reopen the Chamber of Secrets, Master Snape." Snape's eyes widen, he heard about the chamber when he was a student himself. Harry also knew about the Chamber of Secrets as his eyes widen. He read about it in the book Hermione got him for his birthday, Hogwarts: A History. He knew about the 4 founders and what Salazar Slytherin did, before he left the school. The book never said what creature he hid there, but that the creature was huge and would only obey the heir of Salazar Slytherin. Snape said, with authority, "That is all, Dobby. Do not, under any circumstance, tell the Malfoys what you told us. Is that clear?" Dobby nods as he bows, "Yes, Master Snape. I will never tell them, sir." Snape nods as he said, "You may go, Dobby." Dobby bows to Snape, then turns to Harry and bows to him. Dobby smiles as he said, "It was an honor to meet you, Harry Potter. Dobby will be forever grateful to have met you, sir." Harry smiles as Dobby disappears with a loud crack. Snape said, "If what Dobby said is true, we will have to be alert, whilst at Hogwarts. If you learn anymore of the Chamber, come to me and tell me." Harry nods, "Ok dad. I'll make sure to tell you." Snape said, "What we learned today, stays between us. For now. Understood? Harry said, "Ok dad. I wont tell anyone." Snape said, "I shall let you know when you can tell your friends of what we learned today." Harry nods in response.