Chapter 30: Pulling Away

"This way Miss Lawson." the officer says before motioning to Jay, "Is your boyfriend going to accompany you?"

"I'm not her boyfriend." Jay corrects the officer at the same time I say, "Why yes, yes my boyfriend-" I emphasize the word boyfriend, liking the ring to it, "will be accompanying me." I answer with a cheeky grin much to the officer's confusion in not knowing who to believe. This earns me a glower from Jay.

The officer brushes it aside and leads us past the holding cells and to the visiting area near the prison cafeteria. They allow her to see me in person because let's be serious, it's not like she's on death row nor has her trial taken place. I had yet to testify. I could still save her from a life in prison. But that's why I'm here. I need to see that she's changed, that she deserves freedom.

"If there's any hassles Miss Lawson, an officer will be here watching to make sure nothing happens. Just call to him if anything goes wrong. Though I'm certain all will be fine. You're safe." The head officer nods at me with a stern expression before leaving me and Jay with another officer keeping guard over the visitors.

I gulp, staring at my step mother in the distance as she sits at a table with her head in her hands. It's been three weeks since I last saw her.

I can do this...

Jay coughs awkwardly, reminding me that he's still here, that I'm not facing this alone. I shoot him a grateful smile at the not so subtle gesture. He's got a twisted way of making his intentions clear. He's saying that he's here for me. At least I get him, that's all that matters. He sure doesn't make it easy though.

I take Jay's hand into mine before pulling him along as I take a seat in front of my step mother, Jay taking the seat beside me so that we'd be facing her directly. She must hear the screech of the chairs against the floor as her head shoots up from her hands. It takes her a second or two for it to register before a smile breaks across her face.

"Aqueela." She smiles beautifully like she once use too. She stands up and approaches me where I'm sitting. Out of modesty and manners, I stand up as well to address her. "God I've missed you." she whispers before taking a step forward and embracing me tightly in a motherly way.

I freeze in my spot, not expecting this. Jay, weary himself, watches the reunion quietly, still deciphering if to break us apart or not. He goes with the latter, allowing me to overcome and deal with this on my own...just like I need to.

I don't say anything and merely pat her on the back uncomfortably until she releases me and steps back to take a good look at me as if she hadn't seen me in years. It allows me to get a better view on her too. She's lost a lot of weight, yet she seems healthier. The dark circles under her eyes are no longer visible. That meant she'd been getting enough sleep. Thank goodness. If anyone needed rest, it was her.

I don't fail to miss the officer guarding the cafeteria, moving his eyes to us every so often to make sure that all is fine. It's not like the cafeteria was empty. There were plenty of prisoners out for visiting hours. They were seeing their families too. Of course, only the minor offenders were allowed out their cells in public like this.

"You look well Yolanda." I say, careful to no longer address her as 'mom'. Those days were over. However, it didn't mean that I didn't care for the woman standing in front of me. She had been the closet thing I had to a mom.

"Thank you." she says as if pleased, retaliating well to my compliment. If she noticed that I didn't call her 'mom', she never made it known. It's as if only then she notices Jay sitting quietly beside us. Her eyes stray toward him and then back to me, "And who might this be?" she asks kindly, referring to Jay.