Chapter Six: The Departure of The Fellowship of the Ring

A hand reached out to the pale slab of stone, his fingers caressed the lettering on it. 'Gilraen' it read, 'Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim.' (I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept no hope for myself). Aragorn pulled away the clump of moss and leaves at the base of the stone, a solemn look on his face. His eyes stared into the face of a woman in a cloak and hood.

He knelt before the statue before he reached out and caressed the woman's face softly. "Anirne hene beriad i chên în," Aragorn heard from behind him. He did not need to look to know that it was Lord Elrond. "Ned Imladris nauthant e le beriathar aen." (She wanted to protect her child. She thought that in Rivendell you would be safe).

The Elf Lord moved out of the trees and towards him until they stood side by side. "In her heart, your mother knew you'd be hunted all your life. That you'd never escape your fate."

Elrond remembered what Adara had said and decided to give Aragorn a chance. "The skill of the Elves can reforge the sword of Kings, but only you have the power to wield it."

Aragorn did not reply for several minutes. The Elf Lord was about to leave, believing that the man would not answer him, only to receive one as he was walking away. "I do not wish for such power, I never have but it seems that I can no longer escape my fate." Aragorn said, not actually giving the Elf a straight answer and left the grove, going to who knows where.

As he was walking out of the garden, he saw Adara. She was sat under one of the many trees relaxing with a book on her lap. Aragorn found her undeniably fascinating. And unlike any lady he had ever met in his lifetime. He also could admit that the only reason for his unusually calm response to what Lord Elrond had said was because of her. For some reason, he felt much better knowing that she had faith in him and his strength. That did not mean that he was ready to be whom others wanted him to be.

Almost as if she sensed his eyes on her, she looked up from the book she was reading and gave him a blinding smile then waved her hand in greeting. Aragorn smiled back as he walked over to her. "Hey Aragorn. Did you just come back from seeing your mum?" Noticing her language, he concluded that she must be from far away. She spoke so differently and he had never heard the word 'hey' before. Aragorn responded with a yes to her question and a 'I didn't know when the next time I could visit her would be'.

Aragorn sat down next to her, the both of them slipping into a comfortable silence. She continued reading her book and Aragorn just sat next to her, his mind on other things. "Are you ready?," She asked him, interrupting his thoughts as he looked at her confused.

"Are you ready for our journey?" The Ranger shrugged his shoulders at her question.

Aragorn answered, "As ready as I can be but with journeys of importance like this one, you can never know," He told her. "We are Middle Earth's only hope. I do not even want to imagine what will happen if we were to fail."

Adara nodded, agreeing with his words. Neither of them spoke for the next few minutes, their minds on their quest. Aragorn was thinking about whether or not they would succeed and be able to destroy the Ring while Adara was hoping that she had made the right decision by deciding to join the Fellowship. She didn't want the Fellowship to fail because of something she did.

******

"I knew I'd find you here." Adara heard someone say from behind her, startling her from her gazing. Instinctively, she drew her dagger and aimed it at where she heard the voice. She heard a loud shriek and found Arwen laid out on the floor, obviously trying to avoid the very sharp knife that was aimed at her head.

"I'm so sorry," she said, trying and failing to stop small giggles from escaping her mouth. She had never seen Arwen look so...wild. The elleth always looked like she woke up looking perfect.