Chapter 11

"What's on your mind, Luna?" Lily Evans asked as the two girls walked down the snow-covered path. She had noticed Luna's demeanor quickly upon arriving, and had frowned- Surely Sirius hadn't tried to do anything truly abhorrent- And with Luna's affection for the dark-haired boy, it seemed odd how down she would be.

"Oh, it's nothing." Luna hummed quietly. Lily had to hold back a scoff.

"It's obviously something. You were perfectly happy when you left the Three Broomsticks- What's changed? I thought you liked him." Lily said, raising an eyebrow. Luna nodded solemnly, pulling at the scarf around her neck with a faint sigh.

"I do like him, Lily. More than I originally thought. But I'm not- I'm not good for him." Luna said morosely, and now Lily knew exactly what her friend thought the problem was.

"This isn't because you're a werwolf, is it?" Lily asked with a scowl. Luna gasped, head whipping up and blue eyes wide as she stared at Lily. Of course, she hadn't told the redhead. But Lily had figured it out for herself some time ago- Exactly as she had Remus in fourth year. Why was everyone trying to hide these things from her? Did she look dumb?

"Shh! How do you know?" Luna hissed, grabbing Lily's arm and pulling her into one of the small alleyways between the shops. Lily rolled her eyes.

"I'm not dumb- It all adds up. You've been gone every full moon, I have seen your scars, you know, and you're entire demeanor changes leading up a full moon. Now stop looking so panicked- I've not told anyone. But I'm a little surprise you haven't told the boys yet." Lily admitted, raising an eyebrow. "If you would have told anyone, I'd think-"

"Remus knows." Luna blurted, looking upset. "We share a space together, and it was inevitable, really- But the others.. I know they don't care if Remus is a werewolf. I know Sirius doesn't. But they'll look at me different. They might accept it, but I'll be different to them." Luna groaned, hanging her head. "I don't want that."

It took a large amount of self control for Lily to not roll her eyes. "Luna, those boys care for you. I care for you. And so does Sirius. It won't matter to him."

"It matters to me!" Luna shouted, and then with a look of alarm glanced around to make sure no one had heard. Turning back to Lily she sighed, and continued to speak quietly. "It matters to me. He should have better- Mary, or something. I know she fancies him." Luna said, and she sounded almost pained to admit it. "I know she does."

"He doesn't fancy her though- It was you he asked to the ball."

"I know. He- We almost kissed, at the Shrieking Shack." Luna admitted, and Lily bit her tongue to keep from bombarding her friend with questions. Instead she nodded, giving Luna her utmost attention. She could attack her with questions later.

"And I wanted to kiss him- I did, I so so did. But he doesn't know. And I can't- I won't be in a relationship with him if he doesn't know, and I don't want him to know. So really there's no way around it, is there?" Luna sighed. Lily crossed her arms over her chest.

"You're being absurd."

"Lily-"

"No- I will not let you wallow in self pity because of what you think they might do. Those boys- And if you ever tell them I said this, I will hex you- are some of the most surprisingly understanding and, Merlin save me for saying this, caring boys I have met. I've seen them with Remus after a full moon, I've seen the way they care for each other. I've seen James with the younger years, encouraging them, and Peter is incredibly understanding and supportive. Sirius is fiercely protective of anyone he cares for, and Remus is one of the most nurturing souls I've met. You've found yourself good people, Luna. I think you should trust them."