Chapter 49

Fletcher

I didn't think I could be more respectfully afraid of one wolf like I was of Alvarado's beta Denzel, especially after how quick he'd knocked me out. It was nice to see that Sidney could knock him down a few pegs though, even if watching them fight had my head spinning more than it already was. I thought we were safe and done when the subject of lunch was brought up, until Sidney headed inside and left us at the crazy beta males mercy once more. "Well pups it's obvious your she wolf friend knows what she's doing, without her I doubt you'd have a chance of survival!" Denzel growled out and I winced at his threatening tone, the guy was terror in the flesh. 

"She does have a point though, if you really are determined to take the beatings and learn something, then you might just scrape out a living amongst the rest of us." He continued. "We're not kids you know, we've been living fine on our own without help for years!" Beck snapped and I cowered in my seat, did he really have to try to make them even angrier? "Perhaps you were fine back then, but that was before your little she wolf joined the party. A pack is easy to defend when all you're fighting for is your land, there is plenty of that to go around. When you have something worth fighting for is when things get dangerous, and every male wolf knows there is nothing worth more than a she wolf." He growled back to our silence. 

"With her arrival on your territory you will be facing stronger and more numerous competitors. Your pack is strong in number and that might scare some of the weaker males off but more will be willing to chance their own lives if they have a chance a winning a female." Wesley the lowest ranking male of their pack drawled out. "What if we were to claim her as part of the pack, would that help our odds?" Colton voiced slowly. "Sadly no, whether a female has a partner or not, there will be challengers." Kairo the third in command shook his head, I whined at the thought of losing Sid to someone else. "What do we have to do?" Micah frowned down at the dirt.

 "Learn hard and learn fast, I'll teach you how to defend against stronger attacks and what to do to gain the upper hand when your opponent is overpowered." Denzel grunted in answer. "Like you won against Sid?" Beck challenged getting a hiss from all of us, he never knew when to shut up. "Watch it pup, lessons come in more ways than you know. Yes your she wolf won in our spar, and I have no one to blame but myself for underestimating her strength. The remarkable thing is, if she really is an alpha she could have forced me to submit to her and ended the fight in an instant, and yet there wasn't a single moment that she used her alpha power against me." Denzel voiced lowly which left me puzzled even more with my still shaky thoughts. 

"Even the strongest betas will eventually yield under an alphas power, yet I don't believe she's used her power since she arrived here." Alvarado agreed with his beta. "She only used it against me when I pushed my power on her first, and then she only used it to push back on my power as if to balance it out." Bowen admitted. "She's a strange one but one thing's for sure, the girl has great confidence in her own ability to fight, and without her alpha power behind it. It's a fascinating mystery to me as to why she hides it away, not to mention the daring challenges she poses against all of us." Alvarado stated. "So we can all admit she's insane then?" Gavin scoffed. 

"Don't call it insanity just because you don't understand her ways, and her motives. What some consider crazy and dangerous, many others view it as strength and bravery." Kairo murmured a rebuke. Was he saying he admired Sidney challenging them, and fighting all of us? "All I'm saying is if she'd wanted to, she could have put me down without question, but instead she chose to fight me fairly with her own skills instead of the power of her wolf, it shows she is an honorable warrior." Denzel remarked proudly. "The food is ready everyone!" Madison's call drew us from our stand off discussion as we all headed inside to eat.