Steve Rogers x Reader

"They're targeting all major cities," Nat announced.

The team nodded, looking at the map of predicted points. This group was bouncing from place to place, and you had to stop them, fast.

"We'll split up," Steve commanded. "Stark and Thor; Romanov, Banner, and Barton; Maximoffs., Y/N and myself."

Everyone looked at Steve in surprise. You were usually assigned to go alone. It was unusual to hear that you were working with Steve on this mission.

"I can handle it," you told him. "Thor, go with Steve."

Thor nodded in agreement, but Steve shook his head.

"No, you're with me," he stated. "Moving on."

"Steve," you interrupted. "I can handle it alone. I always do. No one else on this team can do it."

"Assignments are final," Steve snapped, glancing over at you. "I'm not letting you go alone."

You opened your mouth to argue, but stopped. Instead, you listened to the rest of the plan. You were to the usual invisibility gig and get what was needed. It was a one person job, so having Steve in too was strange. Regardless, you couldn't argue with him.

The team suited up and boarded the Quinjet. Each person was dropped at their designated area, with you and Steve last.

You got off the Quinjet, Steve close behind you. You immediately saw two guards ahead, and glanced at Steve. You pointed the guards out to Steve before turning invisible, but Steve shook his head.

"Don't," he whispered.

"Steve," you argued, but he shushed you.

"I need to be able to see you," he answered.

You turned visible again and rolled your eyes. The whole point of you being on this mission was to sneak in. Steve just shook his head before running towards the doors.

He knocked the guards out easily, but as he grabbed the handle, alarms went off. Guards poured out. From habit, you turned invisible again, but Steve grabbed your arm.

"Stop," he told you, fighting off a few guards.

You shook your arm from Steve's grip as you knocked out a few guards yourself. Once you had cleared most of them out, Steve tore the door open. He had an iron grip on your wrist as you entered the building.

"Steve, calm down," you told him.

He didn't let go, but instead shushed you again before hiding behind a wall. He peered over the corner and you tried to get your wrist out of his grip, but he wouldn't loosen up.

"Stop moving," he mumbled, sprinting through the halls again.

"Then let go," you told him.

He sighed before letting go. You rubbed your wrist, looking at the red mark left. It was so unlike him to be this protective. Regardless, you focused back on mission, looking for the control room.

Running down the corridor, you pulled Steve back and pointed to the door to your right. It was the controls, and it only had a handful of people. You turned invisible again before walking carefully towards the door.

"Y/N, stop," Steve commanded.

"I've got this," you whispered.

You gently pushed the door open, just large enough to slip through. No one batted an eye.

Sneaking up behind a worker, you held your breath as you watched him enter codes. You tried your best to memorize them in the time you had. You moved on to the next, trying to catch as much as you could.

You were almost done with the whole room when Steve burst through the door. Steve knocked out most of the workers before they could do much damage. He punched the last one, rendering him unconscious. You turned visible once more, staring at Steve in disbelief.

"What the hell?" you asked.

"Doing my job," he replied, walking past you.

"By getting in the way of mine?" you snapped. "I was almost done."

Steve ignored you, making his way to the front of the room. He looked at the documents sprawled across the desk, only glancing up at you occasionally.

You plugged in a flash drive on the computer next to Steve and downloading the documents you needed. You honestly couldn't believe Steve right now. There was valuable information that you could've gathered, but he barged in before you could've gotten it.

"Are you done?" asked Steve.

"No," you replied, "but we're running low on time. Do what you need to do. I've got this."

Steve shook his head. You stared at him again.

"Are you ignoring your own orders?" you asked.

"I have other orders," he answered.

"Like what?"

He paused, glancing at the computer screen before shaking his head.

"Just finish downloading."

"Finish the mission then," you replied.

"Not until you're done,"  he retorted.

You scoffed, crossing your arms.
"I can't let you out of my sight," he told you, noting the look on your face.

"Why?" you snapped. "I can handle myself."

Steve glanced up from the document and paused before replying.

"I'm not letting you stay here alone. It's too dangerous."

"You groaned in response. Only 60% was downloaded, and Steve had more to do. There was no way you could finish if he stayed.

""Finish. The. Mission," you commanded.

"I give the orders here," he replied, staring you down, "and I'm going to stay here with you until you're done."

"Why?" you screamed, throwing your hands up. "I can download some damn files and protect myself! Stop being so overprotective."

"I can't!" snapped Steve, voice suddenly loud enough to shake the room. "I can't because I know you're going to get killed if I don't! I saw it, okay? I saw it in a dream and I can't lose someone else. It can't be my fault that you die."

You stared at him as his chest heaved. His jaw clenched and unclenched. He pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes and falling silent.

"We need to finish this," you told him quietly.

"I know," he replied, staring at the floor.

"Go," you told him. " I know it's scary, but I promise I'll be safe. I've got my com on and everything."

He sighed. You tilted his head up, looking him in the eyes.

"I'll call you if I need help," you told him. "But let's finish this out."

Steve  nodded gently as you pulled him into a tight hug. He kissed your forehead carefully before pulling away and running towards the door.

Steve was still scared of letting you go. He didn't want to lose you like he lost everyone else in his life. He wanted to stay - to watch over you and make sure you were fine - but he knew there was a mission to be accomplished.

"I love you," he told you, almost out the door. You smiled.

"I love you too. Stay safe."

Credit: imaginesnthings.tumblr.com