xxxii. she saved the day, again

chapter thirty-two
she saved the day, again

 FIREWORKS BURST THROUGH the dark sky that hugged the moon. They exploded colourful and fiery in among the stars, and they cracked to the Oohs and Ahhs of the crowd that huddled to watch them. Fireworks were a beauty, but with beauty came danger.

 Just like Rue. She was a beauty, and everyone knew it. She had skin that wasn't too dark or too pale. Her nose was arched perfectly, and Rue had just the right amount of freckles. She was pretty, and it wasn't a shock when boys would turn their heads to look at her again. It happened a lot, but Rue never noticed. She had her eyes on someone else anyway. But even if Rue did, the glances never stopped, and her beauty never went away. And neither did the danger that she carried with her. Rue never liked it when people would stare because it made her feel small and vulnerable.

 Like she did now.

 The majority of the room stared at her, watching the similarity between El and Rue carefully. They both had blood running down their nose, and they both were panting at a pace that seemed like they were at the brink of a panic attack. And what had them curious was that Rue had woken up the exact moment El pulled herself out of the Void.

 "El. . ." Nancy said slowly, standing from her seat. "Did you do what I told you not to?"

 El shrunk in her spot. She had moved from the floor in front of the T.V to sit next to Rue, wanting nothing more than her best friend's comfort. Her friend was the only one who understood her panic, who understood the responsibility she was given. El looked at her shoes, watching the blood from her nose drop on the carpet.