forty eight! ⋆ SHE LEARNED TO SAY GOODBYE

( songs for the chapter )⋆ heaven knows i'm miserable now // the smiths⋆ save me // queen

⋆ heaven knows i'm miserable now // the smiths
⋆ save me // queen

( songs for the chapter )⋆ heaven knows i'm miserable now // the smiths⋆ save me // queen

"TURN AROUND, LOOK AT WHAT you see!" Lucas and Max sang loudly in unison. "In her face. The mirror of your dreams!"

Kate couldn't help but smile as she closed the cardboard container with JUNK written on the side in sharpie; only adding to the boxes that filled the Byers home. The shaky grin didn't quite reach her eyes, though, and the others could tell.

It had been three months since her dad died, and Kate hadn't been normal since – not that they were expecting her to be. For the past several weeks, she'd been abnormally quiet and only left the cabin when she really needed to. The group gave her and El a bit of space after everything that had happened; let them have time together – to cry, to grieve.

But El slowly recovered, and Kate stayed the same.

Thankfully, she'd finally left the comfort of her home to help the Byers' pack. And to say goodbye to them before they left for Maine. It seemed saying goodbye to the people she loved most was something that Kate was beginning to get accustomed to.

"Rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds–"

"Wait, did we get that verse right?" Max joked as she interrupted the serenade. "It's 'unfold behind the clouds,' right?"

"Yeah, but you're butchering it, so could you please stop?" Dustin responded in a monotone.

"So then join in, Dusty-bun," Lucas joked as he blew his curly-haired friend a kiss.

"You guys are so funny; you should be on Carson."

Max laughed softly. "Can't we just hear your rendition?"

"No way," Dustin shook his head. "It's reserved for Suzie's ears, and Suzie's ears alone."

Kate watched as the younger couple shared a look before bursting out into song yet again. She picked up the box beside her to bring out to the moving truck, chuckling to herself as Dustin gave his friends the finger.