Chapter Nine - Its Just You And Me

Chapter Nine

It has been a week since Josie had properly spoken to her sister, she is still mad about her sister not telling her about Hope. But today is the day of their sixteenth birthday party and Josie didn't want the day to be bad for her or Lizzie. So Josie makes an effort to help Lizzie with her hair and her dress.

"Why are you helping me?" Lizzie asks.

"Because, it is our birthday and I can't be mean to you on your birthday" Josie says with a sigh. "I still can't forgive you for what you did but you are my sister and I love you so I am going to help you with your hair like I always do" Josie explains.

"What do I have to do for you to forgive me Jo?" Lizzie asks with sadness filling her face. Lizzie has always needed her sister and she hates that she has been ignored for the past week. "I am so sorry that I didn't tell you about Hope. I wish I could go back in time and change it"

"I know you're sorry but I just need time" Josie says, looking away from her sister. Lizzie lets out a sigh and nods. "But for today I will forget all about it... Happy Birthday Sister" Josie says as she finishes off her sisters hair.

"and happy birthday to you too" Lizzie states with a smile. Josie puts the final touches on Lizzie's hair.

"There you go, you look beautiful" Josie says.

"Thank you Jo, do you need help with yours?" She asks. Josie smiles and shakes her head.

"No, I'm fine. You go ahead, get the party started" Josie says. Lizzie hops up, nicely dressed and ready to, she runs out the door excitedly. Josie sighs and walks over to her bed, noticing a red envelope. She opens it to find a necklace and a note.

'Hope your birthday wishes come true, Hope'

Josie smiles and puts the necklace on to match with her light pink dress. She makes her way down the hall to her party and slips in one of the side doors, not wanting to have a big entrance like Lizzie probably did.

Hope, who is on the other side of the room spots Josie straight away. She can't tare her eyes away from her soulmate. Hope sighs nervously and makes her way over to Josie, beginning to feel aware of how loud the music is. She takes a deep breath. "I know you tried to sneak in but you were so noticeable, especially in that outfit" Hope says, looking her up and down. Josie looks at Hope and her jaw basically drops. She is wearing a burgundy dress with dark lipstick.

"You look stunning" Josie says.

"Well that's that then, I think we should dance" Hope says with a smile. She puts her hand out, Josie laughs.

"And what if I say no?"

"Then I will be very disappointed Josette Saltzman" Hope says, smirking. Josie places her hand in Hopes and looks into her eyes.

"Then I guess we should dance then"

They start dancing and they're enjoying themselves until someone knocks into Hope and pushes her into Josie. Josie helps Hope balance and suddenly Hope is aware of how loud the music is again. She's aware of all the people in the room, she's aware of the chatter and she states breathing heavily and the room starts to shake slightly but no one notices. No one but Josie.

"Hey are you okay?" Josie asks, placing her hand on Hope's arm. Hope shakes her head, unable to speak. She feels as if the air is leaving her body. "Hey hey, look at me" Josie says, placing her hands on Hope's cheeks. She rests her forehead against Hope's. "No one is here, no one can see you" Josie says so that only Hope can hear. "It's just you and me" Josie's says, then she mutters an incantation under her breath. No one can see them, they're both cloaked. Hope takes a look around and no one is looking at her, they are just walking past. Her breathing starts to slow down. "Look at me" Josie says. Hope looks back at Josie and when Josie gives her a soft kiss on the lips, she is suddenly completely calm. The anxiety is gone.

"Thank you" Hope says, resting her head on Josie's forehead.

"Why don't we leave this party?" Josie suggests. "Maybe we can raid the kitchen, I hear they just stocked up on cookie dough ice cream" Josie suggests. Hope laughs and nods, she definitely doesn't want to be at this party anymore.

*

Josie grabs out the tub of ice cream and gets out two spoons. She hands one to hope who is sitting at the counter on the chair. Josie sits up on the bench.

"Aren't you going to ask about what happened?" Hope wonders. Josie shrugs and eats a spoonful of ice cream.

"I guess when you're ready to tell me then you will" Josie mutters.

"You calmed me down fast, how did you do that?"

"Lots of practice with Lizzie I guess" Josie says. "It's okay, to be anxious you know. I will never see you any differently"

"I don't deal well with parties, the truth is they make me feel so nervous. I only came because you wanted me to and it was fun dancing with you" Hope says with a small smile. "I forgot all my worries when you were dancing. I just feel like I made your birthday suck"

"You didn't Hope, in fact seeing you made my night. You were the only one that paid attention to me and not Lizzie" Josie says, slightly jealous of her sister.

"Why would I pay attention to Lizzie, she's not you" Hope says as she leans up towards Josie. Josie leans down and their lips meet.

————————————
Authors note: I apologise for any spelling mistakes, I'm very tired.