Jealousy and Jukeboxes (pt 3)

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup with a Soda on the Side

-------------

Flashback: 12 years ago

The diner was rather small, but still cosy. It was popular too, the small booths were overflowing with couples, families and people just on their own enjoying the warm bright atmosphere.

In the far corner, a woman sat with her young daughter, they were sharing a gigantic plate of pancakes drenched in syrup between them. She laughed as her child tried to put three in her mouth at the same time, quickly swooping in with a napkin to save her.

Her smile was tinged slightly with sadness, which went unnoticed by the small girl. But of course, y/n was only six, she wasn't to know of their situation.

She didn't know that their money was beginning to run scarily short, and her mother was determined to keep that knowledge from her for as long as possible.

It wouldn't be easy though, today was her last day as a stay-at-home mother. She started a new job tomorrow, and a second one at the end of the coming week.

She banished the thought from her head, she wanted to enjoy her last free day for a while with her beloved daughter. 

She slid some coins over to y/n, giving her a knowing smile. She jumped up with a gleeful expression, and ran over to the old jukebox that was very popular with the customers.

She watched in amusement as her daughter scanned the songs list with a very serious expression, before she inserted the coins and pushed the button.

It was always the same song. 

Present Day

The diner hadn't really changed much at all since you last came here.

It wasn't nearly as busy as you remembered, but the interior was much the same, still comforting. The red leather benches were still there, material slightly more peeled away than before.

When did you stop coming? Why did you stop coming?

It wasn't the same without your mom.

You weren't sure why you had come here of all places, it had been such a long time since you had even stepped foot in here. Perhaps it was the memories, they were old, they were safe.

You had only ever come in here in good times, when you hadn't had a care in the world. 

And now you were scared. You were scared of Jimin, you were scared for your mom, you were scared for everything that you've ever known.

You asked the waitress for an extra large plate of pancakes with lots of golden syrup, even though you knew full well you wouldn't finish it by yourself. While you waited, you cast your eyes around the old familiar space. It was far smaller than you remembered, but that was probably just because you were older now, bigger.

You breath caught with nostalgia as you spotted the jukebox. You instantly shoved your hand into your pockets, praying that you had change somewhere. You smiled when you felt the small coins.

Less than half a minute later, Time after Time was playing.

You hadn't listened to this in years. You used to love it, you weren't sure why, you'd play it every time you came here. 

As you sat down at the table once more, you felt your eyes fill with tears. Tears of sorrow, tears of fear, tears of wistfulness. You wish that things could go back to before, when everything was perfect.

"Is this seat free?".

Jungkook smiled sadly at you, his voice a gentle murmur as he gestured to the bench across from you. You nodded warily, not daring to relax your body that had tensed as soon as you heard his voice.

Jungkook had never done anything to you, but you didn't know him very well, and he was a vampire. You didn't trust him, you didn't trust any of them at the moment, not after the way Jimin lost it.

"You're crying", he said softly, reaching out to stroke your cheek as he slid into the booth. You pulled back sharply, and he retracted his fingers with a regretful sigh. "Sorry. Did he hurt you?".

You shook your head quietly, just as the waitress brought you your pancakes. She eyed up Jungkook, before asking in a sickly sweet tone was there anything at all that she could get him. He shook his head briefly before turning his attention back to you, causing her to storm off in a huff.

You couldn't help but roll your eyes and grin slightly. He pouted.

"I don't enjoy it either you know", he complained. "Can I have some of this? I'm starving?".

You had barely inclined your head in a nod before he legitimately attacked the stack. He glanced at you with his cheeks stuffed.

"Eat something", his voice was muffled from all the food in his mouth. He swallowed and coughed slightly. "You'll feel better, and I won't look like a greedy pig".

You laughed properly at that. You knew, deep down somehow, that Jungkook wasn't here to hurt you, and you felt yourself relax a little.

He spent the next hour making you laugh until your sides were in pain. He didn't bring up Jimin, or the incident again, and you were grateful for that.

"Come here", he beckoned with amusement. "You have syrup on your face".

He stroked his thumb along the side of your lip slowly. Your breath stilled at the close contact. He laughed and kissed your nose lightly. You pulled away in surprise, your mouth making an "o" shape.

"Cute", he teased. "Let's go, I'll walk you home".

He insisted on paying, the waitress glaring daggers at you when he was taking out his wallet and not looking. You decided to ignore her.

Before you knew it, you were at your door.

"Taehyung is coming tomorrow", Jungkook said casually, you froze. "I might too".

You loosened when you heard he was coming along. You did not want to be alone with Taehyung after what happened earlier.

"Will you be ok by yourself tonight?", he asked with a tender voice, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

"I will", you answered with a genuine smile. And you would be ok. Jungkook had managed to dispel the negative feelings you had. You knew they'd come back of course, but you were happy for now.

"Alrighty then my lady", he grinned. He lifted your hand and kissed your fingers gently before winking at you and vanishing into the night.

------------

a chapter that's just over 1000 words?????????

what on earth has happened to me 😂

vote and comment

peace out uwuwuwuuwuwuwuw