Chapter 9 - Home

This morning I woke up before my alarm feeling ready for a new day, it's unlike me but it's not a feeling I hate. After Chet drove me home yesterday, we decided to have an early dinner, ordering Chinese which we had delivered to my place. It was nice to have someone to eat dinner with. Until Chet came along, I didn't realize how lonely I really have been living on my own, it's not something I'm used to, but I'm slowly getting there.

Buzz, buzz, buzz. My phone vibrates against the kitchen table.

"Morning dad," I answer the phone a little more cheerfully than usual.

"I didn't think you'd be awake yet." He replies in a stern voice.

"I had a good night's sleep, I'm feeling good today."

"I'm glad to hear it, How are things in Springs?"

"Good, everything's good, do you have anything you need me to do for the Cobras from here?" I ask with a hopeful tone.

"I don't, but I'll let you know the second I do." He clears his throat, "You haven't encountered anything to date?"

"Only an asshole at the bar the other night, but I beat his ass, you'd be proud." I laugh softly.

"That's my girl!" He laughs "Everything is the same here as well, I'm starting to think it was a false alarm, but you know I need to keep my girls safe."

"About that." I bite down on my bottom lip and pause for a moment, not sure how to go about asking the question. "Uh, is Springs safe dad? There are no gangs here that I should know about or anything?"

"No, there used to be an active crew in Springs, but it ended when the leader was killed. Why? Has something happened?" He questions again sternly.

"No, I just have this new uh, friend and he's persistent, I don't walk around the streets on my own at night, he said it can be dangerous."

"Who?" He snaps, the tone in his voice changing.

"Who what?" I respond in a confused tone.

"You said he Amity, what's his name?" He fires back

"Ohhh no." I laugh, shaking my head. "I'm not telling you that, he's my friend, and he's harmless and I'm not letting you track him down."

"If he so much as hurts a hair on your head Amity, I swear to God I'll-"

"Make him suffer beyond words, long and painfully." I cut him off, "I know dad, I know." I laugh. "Why don't you call Avery and blow her up, she's the one with a boyfriend."

"Ezra." Dad laughs "That kids a nerd."

"Dad!" I yell laughing "Don't say that, he seems like a nice boy and he's very good looking might I add."

"You and your sister are going to send me to an early grave." He huffs.

"Well Daddyo, as lovely as this chat has been, I have to go to work, so I'll call you later in the week."

"Be good honey and I mean it, call me if you run into any trouble." He warns in a serious tone.

"Got it dad, love you."

"I love you too, angel," he responds before hanging up.

***

I soon finish getting ready for work and head out the door, making sure to lock it behind me. The weather is extremely hot today and with no air conditioning in the garage, I just know I will be a sweaty mess in no time. Because of that, I ditched the overalls and pulled on some denim shorts and a singlet top along with my work boots.