Arc One Ch. 23

Hanae took in the bloody little face of her granddaughter who was given both protection and a blessing from the Moon Goddess. Everything she had asked of her the girl completed without a word of protest though not all were perfect results. The efforts she put in could clearly be seen, she was reminded so much of Karin in this moment. Reaching out a withered hand she placed it on top of Kira's head feeling the need to protect her from the dangers that would no doubt be there once she left the safety of the pack. Yet the time had come once again to let go, though with every fiber of her being she didn't want to as if sensing the true danger that she was soon going to be facing once she left.

"You have proven yourself time and again to be ready...Kira, please be careful while hunting down the truth." She managed to say with a deeply calm voice that did nothing in truly reflecting her real emotions. Kira's smile brightened as she dropped her things and pulled the elderly woman into a hug. "I will grandmother." She muttered while burying her face into her shoulder.

Alpha Grant stood to the side allowing them to a have a moment before completely interrupting and asking about what she was going to do about her duties. Pulling away from the rather tight grip of her grandmother and answered with ease. "I will be holding a final gathering underneath the full moon. Since the Moon Goddess has allowed me the strength to pass it must mean that she required my presence elsewhere for other wolves in need who cannot reach me and her word." Alpha Grant appeared reassured by this answer and gave his approval. "I hope in that in the far off future her will brings you back to the pack Little Moon as the Stonemason pack just won't be the same without you."

The night before leaving Kira spoke with not only the whole Stonemason pack but with many foreign wolves from other packs answering question, quelling concerns and giving reassurance where it was needed.

At the end Edith watched the flush drain from her little sister's cheeks as she turned her small back to the crowd of wolves that were leaving. The undisguised exhaustion shown on the round little face that still appeared immature broke her heart understanding that no one, not even many of her own family members knew how much it took out of her to commune with the Moon Goddess.

"Thank you..." The younger girl smiled at her. "...Edith for being here." Her words caused Edith to smile as she helped her to stand up straight while helping her back down the mountain path.

Their journey home took a bit longer than expected as Kira walked in a half-dead state. Leaning heavily on Edith for support the pair made it back in time for dinner. Ingrid smiled seeing the two girls walking in together. "Go and sit down you two dinner will be out soon." She said while poking her head from around the corner.

Kurou sat at the dinner table watching Jun helped Hana to set the table how their mother liked it. He glanced up seeing his eldest daughter and Kira, who he wished could have avoided being picked by the Moon Goddess as her messenger, though in equal parts he was thankful since if she wasn't chosen to be the next Little Moon then Theodore might have been completely lost to them.

Helping Kira to take her usual seat Edith sat down to catch up with her father while also filling him in on how the gathering went that night.

Before the food was served Theodore, Tobias and Emily arrived for the small family meal. While the two brothers took their seats Emily went to check on Kyou who had an early dinner and was put to bed at an earlier hour.

Throughout the meal Kira dozed while eating very little since she ate early in preparation for this moment. It was only after the meal was done that she opened up her tired eyes and pulled out a few ordinary pea sized stones that gave off a faint white glow. Each one had been placed into a different setting matching with each family member's personality.

"These were each made holding a part of the Moon Goddess's blessing; I hope that while I am gone this small token will protect you."

Edith held the small carefully crafted broach and recognized it as her older brother Theodore's handiwork set perfectly into the center was a the stone giving off a warm sense of security from it. "Little sister this gift is too much." Her words were echoed with agreement from everyone else around the dinner table.

"No I feel this gift is too little for all the warmth your family has surrounded me with..." Her words broke off abruptly before Kurou and Ingrid pulled her into a hug. Both Edith and Theodore felt left out so they too got up and joined hug. Hana pouted as Jun moved just a bit quicker than herself, she spent more time with their kind big sister learning much along the way more so than Jun who spent all his time training.

Late the next morning Kira woke up finding both Jun and Hana clinging onto her in their sleep while a trace of warm could still be felt from where the others had slept in their wolf forms next to her. She smiled at the pair gently wishing them both well before carefully removing their not so thin or weak arms; it was hard to believe how quickly the two grew since arriving in this world.

After a morning routine that hadn't been broken since first entering this world she went to the kitchen finding Ingrid hold a small bundle. "There are some of your favorite snacks, be safe on your journey Kira dear and thank you..." Her words were gently and soft as she touched the growing bump. "...for helping us." Kira gave her aunt a smile. "It was nothing only a simple reminder, I am happy to know that when I come back a new little brother or sister will be waiting for me to meet." She said with a mysterious tone that left Ingrid wondering what whispers the Moon Goddess must have given her about the unborn child within her.

Kyou was up early eating breakfast at the dinner table making it obvious to Kira that he would be spending the day here instead of daycare. She crouched next to the small child smiling at him that got her a smile in return and a fork shoved in her face. "No, but thank you for the offer Kyou I still need to finish my own breakfast." The small boy nodded and ate the half bitten bite on his fork. "That's a good boy you will soon be big and strong." His small round face turned pink. "I just came over to make sure that you are still wearing the present I gave you."

From underneath his furs he pulled out a small quail sized stone that held a faint white glow. "Very good Kyou, remember not to take it off and if you do not to lose it." He vigorously gave his head a nod looking like a little chick pecking.

During breakfast both Edith and Theodore were arguing over who would be the one taking Kira to the meeting point. Kira didn't mind if the whole family went but not everyone was free which didn't bother her since they all had received their gifts the night before. 

Edith and Theodore accompanied Kira to the place where the other wolves apart of the exchange program were gathered. The area though was swarm with young pups which outnumbered the parents as the small children unable to shift gave their siblings tearful goodbyes.

"This journey is blessed by the Moon Goddess so do fret too much you two." She said trying to calm the pair down as the continued to worry. "Edith you will have to introduce me to that secret crush of yours when I get back and Theodore..." Kira gave an imploring look. "...please don't feel as if you must now follow what grandmother wants you to do but do so because that's what you really want." She said holding his hand while hoping that he could find happiness again.