The Reunion

Lyras' sleep was not dreamless this time. She tossed and turned as she dreamt of a keyhole, that turned into a great big moon, and shadows that turned into big growling black dogs. It was when one of these dogs lept out at her that she lept out of sleep with a start.

She winced with pain as her breath heaved in and out of her lungs. Then she sat up suddenly, she was still in dumbledores office, but the light was very dim and Harry was nowhere in sight. She swung her legs off the couch and went to take a step, but instead of coming in contact with the hard floor, her foot hit a warm lump and she tripped. She fell onto another lump and cursed in pain.

To her surprise, the lumps cursed back and began to squirm. She lept back off of them, terrified. Two red-headed heads popped out of the sleeping bags and glared at her.

"Bloody hell," said Fred "Watch where you're going Stone."

"Good to see your up." George wheezed, the wind knocked out of him when she landed on him.

She looked at them bewildered blinking several times. Her brain not quite processing what was in front of her.

Their glares turned to looks of concern. "Jesus George, do you think they fried her brains?" Fred asked worriedly.

George glared at him, picking up a pillow and throwing it at him. "Don't be a git Fred."

Lyra cleared her throat and tried to speak. "Wheres Harry?" She asked her voice broken and horse.

They were relieved to hear her speak, but George would have been lying if he said her voice didn't scare him.

He squirmed out of his sleeping bag before walking over and helping her up. She let him walk her back over to the couch. His touch was so warm and full of love. Memories of him and she flooded her suddenly and she leaned into him.

"Harry's in the hospital wing, but you don't have to worry, Ron, Hermione, and Mom are there with him."

"That's right," said Fred "He's snug as a drugged bug in a rug. So you can get some rest and stop worrying about him."

"Can I go see him?" she asked, needing to see he was okay for herself.

"No," they both said in unison.

"Lyra he's fine, Honest."

"Yeah if I had to say he's in better shape then you," Fred added laying down.

"He's not wrong," George said lightly placing an arm on her shoulder and trying to get her to lay down.

But the sight of these two and their warmth brought her back to life. She dreaded going back into the cold sleep. Afraid of what might be waiting there for her in her dreams. She grabbed George's arm and he felt her fear.

"I don't want to sleep." She cried out horsly.

They shared a look of concern before looking back at her. "Lyra," George said softly "Your safe now, Fred and I aren't going to let anything happen okay?"

But her fear did not settle and she was about to protest when the oak doors of the office swung open and a very tired Dumbledore came in. He looked over at the three of them.

"Ah Lyra, you are awake." and with a wave of his hand, the room was fully lit again. "Perhaps now would be a good time to talk before you fall back asleep. Do you feel up to it?"

"Yes," Lyra said.

"She's not," George answered at the same time.

Fred just rolled his eyes in annoyance. clearly he wasn't getting back to sleep anytime soon. He looked at his brother.

"You sound like Mom for christ's sake George. If she says she's up to it then she is."

George glared at him again but knew his brother was right. He sighed in surrender nodding his head. "Go on then."

She scooted closer to him and looked up and dumbledore expectedly. He was sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk, but he turned it to face them. Once their eyes met, he took it as his cue.

"What exactly happened tonight, before the third task?"

She began but found she had to go slow. Her throat still sore. "I had suspected something was up with Moody since I ran into him at the second task. I could feel something dark in him, and I could feel it growing." She stopped for a moment taking a couple of breaths, and Dumbledore summoned tea for her, to soothe her throat. She took a couple of sips before continuing.

"I trailed him for months, but I never found anything to prove my theory, he never slipped up. So I let my suspicions go. But at dinner, when he walked by me, I just knew. I knew something was wrong. So I followed him back to his office and-" a lump Lyra wasn't suspecting formed in her throat. Tears welled in her eyes and George wrapped his arms around her lifting her up and cradling him against her. He did not care that her sadness stung, or that his brother and Dumbledore were there.

Fred got up and sat on the other side of her. Not really knowing how to help, but wanting to all the same. They all patiently waited until she was ready to speak again. Even Dumbledore, who Lyra thought for sure would have been tired and annoyed waited. She calmed herself down and began again.

"I confronted him, but I wasn't strong enough, he cursed me. He used the cruciatus curse on me until I blacked out. Then I woke up in the chest with the real Moody, and you already know the rest." She looked up at Dumbledore, her eyes filling with tears "I'm sorry, I was so stupid, I should have come to you-"

He cut her off "Please do not apologize as I am the one who should be sorry Lyra."

"But-"

"I already knew of your distrust of Moody. You telling me would not have made a difference. I am sorry that I did not trust your instinct. You must forgive me, I am an old man and it is easy to forget how sharp a young girl's intuition can be. I didn't know until it was too late."

She was silent for a moment, processing this information. "C-Can I ask a question?"

"Of course."

"Why didn't he kill me?" George's grip tightened and she felt his anger, but she pushed on. "He was going to kill Harry, and he killed his own father to protect the plan. So why didn't he kill me? Why keep me alive?"

Dumbledore looked at her, somberly. "I think you already know my dear."

A chill ran through her and tears welled in her eyes again. "Because-Because they wanted to use me? He was going to take me to he who must not be named?" Her fear filled them all, even drowning out George's anger.

She looked at Dumbledore expectantly though. Waiting for his answer.

"I believe it was always his intention to take you. regardless if you showed up to face him or not."

She nodded in understanding and closed her eyes. She pulled in her fears and pushed out the emotions of the others. She began to build up her walls, traping her fear in.

The effect was immediate and George and Fred looked at her surprised and worried. They had never noticed how in tune they were with her until she had been removed.

She opened her eyes again looking at Dumbledore determinately. "And he's back now?"

"Yes."

"And Harry's safe?"

"For now yes, and so are you."

she ignored this last part, pressing on. "Do my parents know about what happened?"

"Not yet, but they will be on the next train into Hogsmeade. I will talk to them in person."

"Alright." she said, "It's settled then."

"Just like that?" Fred asked looking st her surprised. "Lyra you were almost kidnapped by some crazy lunatic."

"What's done is done." she said, "We just have to keep moving forward."