vii

song(s) for this chapter: when i see u X fantasia

It'd been two weeks since New Years, and they hadn't spoke another word about the kiss they shared. They saw each other frequently, due to the fact that they basically shared friends now and Gionni was still getting into the swing of the whole pick up and drop off process with Nayeli.

On her end, she was scared. Nothing and nobody had that strong of an effect on her as Gionni did in that simple kiss. There was no tongue, and little to no touching, yet she felt it was one of the most intimate and passionate touches she'd felt in years. She'd just gotten out of a six year relationship and a man she'd known for four and a half months could set her feelings ablaze like this.

So she was scared as hell.

She'd talked to both of her friends about it and they'd both given her the same advice to just talk to him. Get it off her chest and just be honest. But that's really not what she wanted to hear because she knew they were right. She'd resolved to pay her mom a visit tonight after work, just to get her thoughts on it. Her mom always gave her the best advice, and this was something she truly was conflicted on.

"Ms. B!" she heard a tiny voice call out to her. The children were currently indulging in silent reading, well as silent as a group of four and five year olds could manage. She looked up to see one of the younger kids, Taylor, waving her hand wildly.

"Yes, Taylor?" Nadira asked, making the short walk over to the table she was seated at, looking over at the empty seat that usually sat Nayeli, which was empty. She wondered if everything was okay with her and her father, she knew their custody hearing was soon and that was possibly why she'd been absent. Taylor needed help with a big word in her book and Nadira was of course happy to help.

The joy of her job was to watch these children learn and develop. She loved helping them realize new things and discover their own intelligence more and more every day. It made her feel good knowing she was making a difference in the world, sending these kids out of her classroom with more knowledge than they had the previous day, she'd never give it up.

Unlike other teachers on her floor, Nadira purposely had her kids reading one grade above their level. So unless she saw a specific need, her children started reading at a first grade level. Kids like Nayeli and Taylor who were doing exceptionally well got moved up. Since her class was relatively small she was able to give each child individual attention as much as she could and assess their needs often.

Silent reading led straight into dismissal, and by 2:10, her class was lined up and ready to go meet their parents. They typically got dismissed before the bigger kids because they'd had too many incidents where the 6th graders would practically bulldoze over the babies and they wanted to avoid it at all costs.

"Bye Ms. B! See you later!" Taylor called out to her, walking hand in hand with her aunt. A multitude of other children said their goodbyes as they boarded the school bus or jumped into the car with their parents.