Chapter 27 - Winter Moon Festival Pt. 2

^Katherine's Dress^

Katherine's hand trembled as her breath hitched in her throat. Anxiety , nervousness, worry was she felt as Demos lead her down the hall toward the outdoor garden where the ceremony will take place. Thoughts of the possibility of something going wrong play in different scenarios in her mind. 

Suddenly Katherine's thoughts and her trembling ceased as she felt a warm calm hand on top of hers. She looked up to see Demos look at with concern, but she can also see reassurance in his eyes that everything will be alright. "Katherine, relax I got you." He said giving her a small smile that almost caused her to jump in surprise and fright. Never did she thought Demos could smile. She looked at him and nodded. Demos looked from her and nodded toward the guard who stood at the door that exited toward the garden. He spoke in his wrist watch that resulted in the festive commotion outside to quiet.

"PRESENTING ALPHA PRIME DEMOS AND HIS FUTURE LUNA PRIME!" Someone outside announced as music began to play. The doors swung open to reveal a crowd of rich looking people staring at them with different emotions on their face. "Remember, Katherine, I will not let anything happen to you." Demos whispered in her ear as he lead her to the platform where their were to throne chairs. As she approached she saw off to the side Xerous and along side Councilman Lukras. Both men did not have the look of joy when their eyes landed on her, but Xerous had another emotion in his eye that Katherine could not read.

Demos lead Katherine up the steps of the thrones both standing in from of the throne. Katherine tried to look anywhere but at the people's faces. Yet her eyes manage to land on a few faces. Her eyes then drifted back to Xerous and the councilmen as she felt their eyes strongly on her. She couldn't help, but notice Xerous the look he had she could not explain. It was almost as if he stared at her in lust or...love?

"Ladies and Gentlemen tonight will be making our pledge to our Moon Goddess and crown of our future Luna Prime." Demos announce to the audience causing them to clap. Just then an elderly man dress as if he were some sort of priest attire walks up the steps of the plat form with a box. 

The crowd soon falls quiet at his sudden presents causing Katherine's nerves to get even more relied up. She glances toward Demos as he patiently watches the man proceed up the stairs then back toward the man. The man stopped in his tracks standing in front of both of them with the wooden box in his hand. Demos then proceeds to step forward opening the box.

Katherine's eyes turned into saucers as she gazed inside the box. 

There laid two glass cups along with two sharp very long daggers. Katherine wide eyes glanced between Demos, the priest and the box furiously. Katherine looked back at Demos about to speak until he picked up the knife and turned toward the crowd.

The crowd cheered in joy as he raised the knife as if it was a free hand out of money. Demos then turned back toward Katherine holding out his hand toward her.

'He's not doing what I think he is doing? Is he?' Katherine thought staring at his hand.

"Give me your hand, Katherine." Demos said lowly. Katherine looked at him then crowd and began to shake her head, no. "Your out of your mind." Katherine said lowly backing away slowly, but was stopped by Demos. He let out a low growl and wrapped a hand around her waist pulling her close to him. He held her hand tightly as she tried to pull it away. "Please Demos I do not want to do this."

Demos looked at her for a moment, his eyes soften. "It will be okay. I will make it quick." Katherine opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the yelp that escaped her lips. A painful sting suddenly is being felt on her hand. She looks down to see a stream of blood run down the side of her palm. And to her horror the matter gets worst when she sees her blood drop into a cup. Demos then sits the cup and the dagger down gently in the box only to reach for the next set of a dagger and cup.

He hands the two over to Katherine expecting her to do the same. 'There is no way I am doing that.' She thought in horror. Demos reached forward and grabbed her right hand (the one not covered in blood) and placed the dagger in hers.

Katherine stared at the cold blade with a sinister thought. This could be her moment to inflict pain on the one who caused her pain. She could kill him with this very dagger, but she knew it was futile. Why would Demos hand her a weapon if he knew she could kill him with it? Its simple. She can't. 

With a shaky hand she pressed the blade against Demos palm. She drag the blade across his hand slowly and with a tremble, but no blood came. She was too weak and afraid. Demos then let out a sigh at the slow process and grabbed wrist forcing the dagger down on his own palm. Blood drew and spilled into the cup. Katherine looked up to Demos to see he was not fazed at all by this.

Now both of their cups held a small pool of blood as they each held each others blood in their hands. Then Demos raised his glass toward the full moon that was soon followed by the crowd with their glasses full of wine or so Katherine hoped for.

Demos glanced over toward Katherine as he had noticed that she only stood there with a confused, nervous and scared look. 

Katherine's eyes scanned the crowd until it had landed on Bethany who stood a little off to the side of the stage ready to serve the guest. Their eyes met. Bethany could feel Katherine's uneasiness as Katherine stood on stage. All she could do was get Katherine a small reassuring smile. Their eyes soon left each other as Katherine's attention was pulled back to Demos as he cleared his throat. He motioned to her to raised her glass as well. Katherine slowly lifted her glass to the moon awkwardly as the others followed by Demos speech.

"Mother Moon Goddess, we here by make this oath, this pledge to you on this Winter Moon as we do every year. To serve and worship you as our only god. There is no other god or goddess, but you. We bow and submit only to you." A frown began to form on Katherine's face at this declaration to this 'goddess'. What if Demos forces her to worship this goddess? If she will not bow or submit to Demos then what will make him think she will bow and submit to the Moon Goddess. Although it did not matter to her she will be leaving as soon as Demos takes his eyes off her. "...Now let us drink and make yearly oath to the almighty Moon Goddess." Demos said with great power and authority in his voice.

"TO THE MOON GODDESS!" The crowd shouted soon after they began to drink their 'wine'.  And to Katherine's horror Demos began to drink as well only it wasn't wine. It was her blood. Katherine just stood there in shock as Demos finished drinking her blood as if was drinking wine too. 'What is he a vampire now?!' Katherine thought.

Demos lowered his glass with a satisfied look on his face only to be replace with a look of frustration as he looked at Katherine. "Katherine, just drink it." He said knowing full well why she did not drink it. "Its only my blood." He whispered. 

Katherine could only look at him as if he were crazy. 'Only your blood? Is that all? Your blood? He talks as if it was Kool-Aid.'

"Demos, this is insane." She whispered back. "We are drinking each other's blood. What are you a vampire now?" 

Demos looked at her with a twisted face of confusion. "What's a vampire?" Katherine looked at him stunned for a moment. 'Didn't werewolves and vampires have a rivalry or something?' Demos sighed and shook his head at her nonsense. "Drink. It." He whispered sternly grabbing her wrist and shoving the cup to her lips tilting the glass until she felt and tasted the irony taste of blood at the tip of her tongue. Katherine tried to resist, but there was no use. All she could do is choke down and ignore the awful taste of Demos blood.

It felt as if it took forever to get the blood down her throat. Demos made sure she drunk every drop. All Katherine wanted to do was throw up and get out. 

.....................................................................................................................................

Don't forget to vote, comment and check-out my other stories.