Newt Imagine: Flinch

Warning: None
Word Count: 2089 words
Quick A/N: This one is a little different than the other ones I've made. It does include some ASL and I deeply apologize if I explained the motions incorrectly. Hope you enjoy!

• • • • •

"Looks like there's new people," Brenda had signed. [Y/N] moved closer to the cameras in Jorge's study.

"How did they survive?" She had signed back. Brenda shrugged. They watched as these people, those that somehow survived the Scorched world, run towards the building. Lightning struck brightly, causing [Y/N] to flinch away from the camera. Brenda placed a hand on her shoulder, with a slight smile. Both heads turned back towards the camera. A boy was being dragged into the building.

The short haired girl stood up, holding out her hand palm towards her friend: Stay. The other girl nodded, staying seated in her chair. Minutes ticked by, but the girl could not tell. Voices sounded on Jorge's radio, but she could not hear them. The world around her was an uncomfortable silence, but she had gotten used to the devastating quiet. Jorge smiled to her as he sat at his desk, his eyes focused on the radio before him.

Soon, Brenda returned with a small army of teenagers, the same people that they saw previously on the camera. [Y/N] stood up from her chair, smirked at Brenda as she walked in. The old man stood up from his desk, his lips moving to the teens, however, she wasn't paying attention to a single word he had spoken.

She focused her attention onto the group instead of the man's lips. She noticed one of the boys looked quite familiar, his blonde hair almost spiking up as he glanced around the group he was with. "What's happening?" [Y/N] signed to Brenda.

She shook her head. "Group of kids not telling us the information we need."

Guards quickly took hold of the boy that stood in front and the forced his head down, which made [Y/N] jump, catching the blond's attention. Brenda took the honors of scanning the back of his neck and suddenly stopped when the screen registered. The group was soon were taken away, the boys looked like they were screaming to let them go.

Brenda and Jorge talked for a bit then both glanced at the girl. They looked to each other, then back to her. After a decent amount of bickering, Brenda nodded and squatted down in front of [Y/N], signing: "They're from WICKED,"

• • • • •

[Y/N] walked into the room where the teenagers were hanging from their ankles upside down. No one else was there; it was only her. She stopped and stood, staring at those hanging in front of her. The one boy, the one who was scanned, moved his mouth but it wasn't like she could understand him. Her eyes barely even glazed over him, so she never even saw. He got frustrated from her not giving a response and began shouting. When she noticed his mouth move, she had trouble reading what he said. Had he not been hanging upside down and spinning, she probably would've known. Keeping eye contact with him, she took her right index finger and touched the right corner of her lips, then up to her right ear.

Thomas yelled in annoyance. "Why won't she shucking answer!"

"Wait, I know that sign," Newt's slowly spinning body hung and he turned to Thomas. "She's deaf."

"So she cant hear anything? Great. We're never getting out of here," Minho stated with a blank stare.

Newt turned towards the girl and suddenly, he knew how to communicate. "Can you help us?"

The girl shook her head. "Not allowed to."

"We need to leave to go to the mountains," He almost pleaded with his eyes.