ten- leaves, leaves, leaves

Next week, October

Next week, October

Yesterday we had our Academic Decathlon Regionals and we won! So we're going to the Nationals in February.

I had Biology for first period, so I went to my locker to get my biology textbooks out when I saw Betty and Liz walking towards where I am.

"Morning Y/N!!" Betty greeted. She's very happy because we won Academic Decathlon.

"Good morning Y/N." Liz chirped, while handing me a cup of coffee.

"Morning, oh thanks but I'm more of a hot chocolate type of girl." I said.

"Yeah I know, I got you hot chocolate... It's just in a coffee cup." Liz replied smiling.

Aw so sweet.

"Wow! Thanks! How did you know?" I asked while taking a sip.

"I have my own ways." Liz smiled.

*Ring* *Ring*

"Ugh. First period. What do we have?" Betty questioned.

I held up the Biology textbook, "Biology."

"Oh okay, well we better be heading for Bio then."

"Bye Liz." We waved at her and we parted ways.

Once we arrived in Biology, Betty sat on the desk in front of mine with Ned and I sat behind her with Peter. It's kind of annoying since I'd love to sit with Betty but for all 3 sciences the school thinks its important that we it with our lab partners because we do a lot experiments, assignments and projects so it's good to 'share' the knowledge amongst each other.

"Morning." I said when I sat down next to Peter. He was wearing his earphones but he noticed me sitting down so he took them out.

"Hey." He looked up, while tapping his finger on the desk. "Do you know what we got for our Physics Assessment?"

"Um, I'm not sure... Mrs Warren hasn't given them out yet, I think she'll hand them out next week."

"Okay."

Mr Miller spoke, "Alright class. First period of the day. We will kicking it off with a experiment. Now Autumn is here. So for Biology, we're looking at Life Process and how plants use sunlight, water and CO2 to make their own food. So today we'll be doing the starch test but I have something for you guys to do—" he paused, "wait, I'll talk about it later."

He clapped his hands together, "Okay get with your lab partners and start collect the equipment." The whole class started to move around and got their equipment ready. Trying to break through the noise Mr Miller shouted, "and make sure you wear your safety googles!"

"I'll get the equipment that's on the left side of the room, like the Bunsen Burner and stuff." I pointed towards Mr Miller's desk. "and you can just get the leaf, methylated spirits and iodine that's on the teachers desk."

"Okay sure."

Once we got all our equipment we initiated the process while following the instruction sheet that Mr Miller gave us.

"So we've set up the water bath and the water is boiling..." Peter said, reading the instruction sheet.

Once we were on the last step, Peter spread the leaf on the petri dish and dripped some iodine onto it. Some parts of the leaf turned black,

"Woah... So those parts have starch in them." I said, pointing my pen towards the darker areas.

"Mhm. You're writing this down right?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, I'm even sketching just in case so don't move the tray yet."

"Okay! Class! I'm sure you're all on the 2nd to last or the last step or you're done. Once you're done, please pack up your equipment, put the leaf in the bin which is next to the front door, wash the boiling tube throughly and make sure you don't drop the iodine on your shirt cause you probably don't want it stained."

The whole class started packing up and soon we were all done and we went back to our seats.

"Alright, what I wanted to say before was..." He started drum rolling on his desk. "Drum roll please."

We all starting tapping our desks, Mr Miller pulled out sheets of paper and exclaimed. "You guys will have your first assignment for BIOLOGY!"

Everyone's face dropped and immediately the class was filled with groans.
"Ugh, sir we've already have enough homework." Flash argued.

"Yeah!" called out another voice.

"Yes we know, its's hard being a student but this has to be done." Mr Miller spoke softly, while handing out the pieces of paper to the class.

"So I have the assignment instruction sheet here and there are two parts to this assignment."

I got handed a sheet, it read Leaf Investigation Midtown High 2017.

"So the school this year wanted the Biology assignment to be fun! So us teachers talked about it a lot to find the suitable assignment for the sophomores."

"Ugh." Flash groaned.

Mr Miller ignored him and continued. "So as you can this on the sheet it shows all the relevant information you will need to know for this assignment. This assignment is a little different, there is a practical side where you and your lab partner will need to meet up other than class time and do the investigation and write about it."

"So the investigation is about different types of leaves and we would like you to bring different types of leaves and do the starch test on them just like what we did today in class and write a report about it. We except over 10 different types of leaves. Yep. You heard me. Over 10."

Betty shot her hand up high, "Yes Miss Betty?"

"Sir, I don't think we can find over 10 different types of leaves around here."

"Yes. We know, thats why you'll need to spend your after school time meeting up and looking around the local parks but I do suggest that the Central Park over in Manhattan is a good choice as they have a wide range of trees so if I were you, I would go to Central Park. And save time than spending it all trying to find leaves at school."

Mr Miller then stuck a poster outside the front door, "We will be opening some of the classes after school as you can use the equipment and do the experiment in here in 2 next weeks time which will be the16th of October. So I would collect the leaves this week or next week and start the experiment the week after. This poster has the timetable about when the class closes on which days so see for yourself after class."

I put my hand up, "Yes Y/N?"

"When is this due?"

"Good question, as you can see on your sheet. It's not due until 10th of November. Which is the week after halloween."

He continued, "Now where was I? Oh yes. So you will have more than a month, the reason we gave you plenty of time is that this assignment is pretty hard as it takes a lot of your own time so I hope you and your partners will decide a suitable time for when to meet up and all."

-