Chapter 33

My heart raced as I stood up, holding my hands. "Adam," I warned.

"What is Mom talking about, Kara?" He asked. His eyes darting back and forth between me and my mother.

My mom followed me and made her way over to the exit. "I'm going to go check on dinner," she excused herself, her eyes holding guilt as she mouthed, 'I'm sorry', behind my brother's back. I watched her leave out the door and once she disappeared, I turned back to a furious Adam.

He looked confused, shocked, and angry all at the same time. "Please, sit down," I urged. The pain in my side was too much for me to bare, standing, so I took a seat on the bed, once again.

"No, I wanna know what's going on. You've been acting strange ever since you got home from the hospital." His glare hardened.

"This isn't how I wanted you to find out. Hell, I just discovered this last week. I was gonna tell you."

"When?" I opened my mouth but nothing came out. He continued. "Is it true? I wanna hear it come out of your mouth. That's the only way that I will believe it."

How am I supposed to explain to Adam, my feelings towards Levi, when I'm just figuring this out myself?

"It's true," I confess.

A growl comes out of his mouth as he knocks over the lamp on the bedside table in anger. The glass shattering on the wood floor, right between the both of us.

I jump back in shock. "I do love him, Adam! Why does that anger you so much?"

"That asshole got you shot! He put you right in the middle of a fucking blood bath and you expect me to forgive him? Not only that but he forced you to live with him."

"Dad was the one who got blacked out drunk and sold me to a gang leader. Levi could've did anything to me but he didn't. You refuse to see the good he's done because your blinded by anger! Levi isn't a bad person. He never was," I argue.

"Kara, you didn't know a damn thing about Levi until Dad made that dumb ass bet! You've known him for five months and you're defending him against your own blood." He shakes his head, looking down on me.

"I am defending the side I believe is right. This doesn't mean I don't love you, Adam, you're my brother. I just love him, too." My hand connects with his arm and he jerks it away.

"Whatever. Fuck this, I need to get some air." Adam stomps away and I hear the front door slam shut.

My hands go to my hair, tugging at the short, brown strands. "Ugh," I exclaim.

That definitely didn't go how I wanted it to. I didn't want him to find out about my feelings yet, but finding out by eavesdropping is worse.

I know it's going to take Adam a while to come to terms with what he just heard and cool off, so I don't go after him.

Grabbing my phone, I make my way out down the stairs.

"Where do you think you're going? You just got out of the hospital last week, you can't be moving around so much," my mom says, coming into the hallway from the kitchen.

"I have to go see Levi. I have to tell him before anything else happens." I throw on my sweater and pull open the front door. "I'll be fine."

My mom smiles and tugs me into a tight hug. "Please be careful. Don't tear your stitches." She hands me her car keys from the small corner table.

"Thanks, I won't."

She lets me go and I fast-walk down the path and into her grey Hyundai, speeding off down the road.