Chapter Eight

That night I sat through the most uncomfortable dinner I ever had.

Part of the reason was the promise—was it even a promise?—with Master Tobias, and the other part was the fear and anticipation of asking Mister Kupka for a day off. For all four of us at once, no less. 

"Mister Kupka," Beth began first, making Rhiannon shoot her a look. No doubt Rhiannon wanted to approach the subject, as she seemed the most skillful and would know how to persuade him, and had the best chance. After all, Beth and Clo were certainly not Mister Kupka's idea of an ideal maid.  "I have something I want to talk to you about."

"Are you sure it can't wait after dinner?" He ate his roast beef nonchalantly. The dinners here were splendid. It was something I never had the chance to have because in orphanages and convents we usually only ate bread, potatoes, and beans. There was no meat, much less spices, and fresh vegetables were rare. I would've been enjoying my meal if not for the tension in the air.

"Well, it's something all of us want to talk to you about after dinner."

Mister Kupka placed his fork down and looked at him. "Who is this 'us' you speak of?"

"Shuyan, Rhiannon, Clo, and me." 

"Oh?" Now he looked intrigued. "Go on, you don't have to wait."

We all turned and looked at each other, aware of the pressure on us now.

Beth swallowed and then smiled her charming smile, but before she could have a go at it, Clo spoke.

"We want to go to town, the market, to be precise." Mister Kupka turned to her now. The valets were all watching him too, just as on edge.

"The market? You mean Ravensborough's Monthly Market?"

"Yes, that!" Beth leaned forward, eyes shining. "I need to buy new lace, ribbons, and buttons!"

"You are a maid. You do not need so much unnecessary lace," Mister Kupka retorted, and then glanced at her dress. "In fact, I've been meaning to say this, but your outfit is quite inappropriate for a maid."

We all turned to look at her dress.

Today her dress was a dark blue, with her skirt puffy from the petticoat beneath it and reached just a few inches above her ankles—a dangerously unprofessional length, and her white apron was also hemmed with lace. There was also a satin ribbon in her short hair for no other purpose than decoration. To state it plainly: she was overdressed.

"It is?" Beth asked, wide-eyed. "I looked up books about maid uniforms before I came here and got the dullest dresses I could, before tailoring them to my length myself."

"And it's simply too short. Do any young women go out wearing skirts showing their legs like that?" Holden asked.

"It is in fact a bit, well, unique," Matheus said.

"I wear stockings underneath them," Beth whispered with a small shrug.

"So I have a proposal," Mister Kupka continued. "If I allow you to go to the market, would you change your ways of dressing? Say, wear a sensible uniform like Miss Rhiannon or Miss Shuyan?"

"What?" Clo shouted. "You already had me button up my uniform and everything, and all this poor girl is doing is showing her ankles, and with boots, too!"