~ 22 ~

~ Chapter Twenty Two ~

The following morning, I had woken up early. So early that no one had gotten up to prepare breakfast yet. The sun hasn't surfaced either.

I didn't sleep well last night because I was contemplating on how to apologize to Zander. I got over emotional and defensive. My guilt didn't let me get a good night's sleep.

The morning breeze blew by. I never realized how chilly the mornings were. It's always warm and humid. Even in the evenings. But then again I quickly eat my dinner and go straight to bed. So I don't know if the nights get colder.

I wrap myself with my arms, rubbing them constantly in order to warm up. Wearing loose gowns all the time with short sleeves is a no-no. I need to talk with Tiana and have her make me clothes I'm comfortable with. Such as t-shirts, pants, and especially undergarments.

I look around one last time, taking in the calmness of the morning, and started walking back. However, before I reached the entrance of the cave, I heard weird sounds coming from the forest.

The sound itself was high pitched and cracking once in a while. It reminded me of when my sister tried out for choir. She'd practice everyday, trying to hit those high notes. But in the end, she just wasn't cut out for singing. Thus, ruining her dreams of becoming a famous singer.

As I neared the edge of the forest, the sound became louder and piercing. It actually began to hurt my ears. I covered my ears with my hands, dulling out the sound.

I stepped into the forest as quietly as I could, watching my step. I didn't want to step on a leaf or something that'll alert my presence.

I walked around a tree, stopping behind a bush that covered my entire frame. I ventured a bit far from the dragon's base. Far enough that I think I found the source of the sound.

As I peeked through the leaves of the bush in front of me, I saw a woman dancing around in the small open area. She had hair as dark as charcoal. Her skin was oddly translucent, but I still noted the distinct blue hue of her skin color. The woman wore a thin white gown that stuck close to her skinny frame.

She stopped singing and started humming instead. She picked up a leaf and started playing with it as she moved around.

"Don't just hide there. Come out, human."

I flinched as the sound of her raspy voice reached my ears. It was as if she said those words right next to me.

But what should I do? She's clearly not a dragon. Therefore, I shouldn't just carelessly go up to her and make friends with a creature I don't know.

Then again, she already knows I'm there. I wonder if she would be able to catch me if I run.

As if sensing my hesitancy she said, "I won't hurt you. I want to help you go home."

I knew deep down this was most likely a trap. The villain always wants to lure in the protagonist with information that he or she seeks. But it always ends as a trap. Or that's how it goes in every story I've read so far.

However, knowing that important factor, I still walked out in the open. I still stayed close to the bushes, keeping my distance from this woman.

She stopped dancing and turned to face me. Her face was oval shaped that contained thin lips, no nose, and wide eyes without eyelashes or eyebrows. I spotted gills on the side of her neck. Her deep black eyes stared at me, nonblinking.

A chill went down my back as I realized that I'm standing in front of the very creature that can easily kill a dragon.

At a time like this, I so desperately wished to strangle my curiosity. I should have ran. Ran and yelled out for help.