22;

Music filled the small apartment, drifting through the walls so the neighbours heard, out the window, and under the front door to where I stood. 

It was a lovely melody, one that sounded of longing and heartbreak, of losing something one knew they could never regain.

I was going to murder Taehyung.

I had no idea how, seeing as he was already dead and a ghost, but that didn't change my intent as I made my way down the hallway, throwing open my bedroom door to see the spirit sitting at my saxophone. 

The moment I set eyes on him, his fingers could no longer play the keys, and the room fell silent.

"Excuse you, I was composing." Taehyung snapped, turning around to see me fixing him with a glare. 

I blinked at him. He looked more transparent that usual for a moment, but was back to normal just as fast.

"At top volume? So all the city could hear? When the landlord comes over here because the neighbours are complaining about the noise, I'm the one who's going to be in trouble, Taehyung. Now cut it out."

My room was a mess. Papers littered the floor, covered in handwritten notes and scribbled lyrics. I picked one of them up, examining it in the light.

"Do you know how boring it is to be dead?" Taehyung grumbled, looking back at my old, unused saxophone. "I used to make music every day. And now you want me to- what? Watch TV? I don't want to."

I fixed Taehyung with a blank stare. "You could at least keep the volume down."

Taehyung shook his head. "The neighbors don't mind. I used to play like this all the time when I was alive, they never complained."

I rolled my eyes. 

"Just to give you a heads up, we're having an exorcism next week." I said.

Taehyung raised an eyebrow at me. "Why? Have you been possessed by a demon? I guess it would explain some things..."

"No." I rubbed my eyes. Taehyung was impossible. "It's to get rid of you."

"Oh." Taehyung suddenly fell quiet.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting— maybe for him to be mad? Or perhaps to be happy?

But it certainly wasn't for Taehyung to look sad.

"I thought you wanted to move on?" I asked gently, sitting down on the edge of my bed. "You're always complaining about being a ghost."

"That doesn't mean I want to stop existing." Taehyung muttered, his hands hovering just above the keys. (a/n: yes, they're called keys; i searched it up lmao.)

"Why next week? Why not sooner?" He asked suddenly.

"Hoseok said he knows some people who can help, but they aren't free any day this week." I explained. Taehyung nodded.

"Can we try something first?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"Maybe. Depends on what it is."

"See, I was thinking. About what kind of unfinished business I might have, I mean." Taehyung looked at me, a determination in his eyes, something I hadn't seen very often.

"As a saxophone star and producer, I made tons of music, worked with loads of people, but one thing I never did was release any of my own music."

"Okay?" I nodded for him to continue.

"I was halfway done with my album when I died. I think that's what I was supposed to do."

"Release an album?" I made a face. "That might be kind of hard to do, seeing as you're dead and all."

Taehyung shook his head. "I can keep working on it, and publish it anonymously. As long as my music's out there somehow, it's fine with me."

"So where do I come in?" I asked, knowing that I wasn't going to like whatever it was Taehyung was going to tell me.

"I can keep working on it as long as I have a laptop and the files that I saved. I finished recording everything before I died, all that's left is mixing and editing."

"And?" I still didn't see what I had to do, but knew I wasn't going to get away with nothing.

"And so I need the files. Which I can't get." Taehyung smiled nervously at me.

"How am I supposed to get them?" I asked incredulously, seeing what he was getting at.

Taehyung waved a hand dismissively.

"It'll be easy. They're all saved into the company servers, all you have to do is get into the building, log into a computer as me, and download the files onto a thumb drive."

"Right, that's all I have to do..." I muttered. "Easy..."

"So you'll do it?" Taehyung said hopefully.

"Of course not!" I snapped, walking out of the room.

Taehyung's plan was insane, and I would have no part in it.