Chapter Thirty Seven - Part One

Chapter Thirty Seven: Consequences - Part One 

Liana's words hit him with a paralysing force.

"Sam knew me." James's voice was hollow and flat, sounding miles away. The room began to tilt.

"I didn't want to be the one to tell you," Liana said. "Sam is convinced that you knowing too much about your past will somehow... hurt you. Or confuse you. I don't know. But I know you can handle it. You deserve to know the truth."

James felt his legs weaken and he had to steady himself with the sword.

"I just..." Liana said, struggling to find her words. "I know how lonely you've felt. I wanted you to know that there are people that do care about you. A lot. You're not alone."

Everyone had been lying to him this whole time. He suddenly felt very foolish. All this time everyone must have known that he and Sam were good friends, but had gone along with Sam's insistence that he not know about it.

What else had they been lying about?

One dull, muddled thought led to another, and James found himself pulling out the photo that had come with his father's grapple hook. The two men looked at him once again. One tall and dark haired, with serious eyes; the other with long fair hair and a sad smile. He swallowed, finding his voice.

"I'm going to ask you again," he said. "Who are the men in this photo?"

Liana frowned. "Please, James, just talk to Sam. He'll be able to explain better. About everything."

"Tell me," James said pleadingly.

Liana looked down at the photo and back at him with a troubled look. She pointed to the dark-haired man with the studded shoulder pads. "That's Harman Bridges. An ex-Sergeant of the Avancheon Military."

"And the other?"

Liana's conflicted expression remained as she said, "That's Hayden Island. Your father."

James's heart pounded in his ears, his senses fading. Everything blurred together. A sudden urge to vomit came over him. Jacob Roby. They had told him the other man was someone named Jacob Roby. Everyone had lied to him.

"I'm sorry, James," she said. "You had to know the truth."

James became aware of a presence nearby. He turned to see Sam standing in the doorway, a dark shape against the bright sunlight.

James froze, a shiver running through him.

Silence filled the room as they stared at each other.

A fierce anger shook James, his grip tightening on the large sword still in his hand.

"We were friends," James said, his voice trembling.

"James," Sam said. "I wanted to tell you, but I couldn't."

"We were friends?" James repeated. The words sounded strange, their meaning unknown.

Sam was glaring at Liana with venom in his eyes. She stood strong with her chin high.

"We can talk," Sam said, taking a step closer. "I can tell you everything. But not now–"

"Come on, Sam! You can't get out of this now. No more saving talks for another time."

Sam's body trembled and his hands were balled fists at his sides.

"It isn't the time," Sam said softly, as if it hurt him to say. "Right now, we have a mission. And that's all that matters. If Jaxx leaves before we can get to him, then he'll continue to grow his army and pose a great threat to the galaxy."