Chapter 15

Gabriel walked slowly towards her; his eyes fixed on her body, waiting for any sign of life. Yet there wasn't.

Chat Noir heard him and turned around.

-DAMN YOU! YOU DID THIS TO HER! – he yelled at the purple-suited man.

Gabriel couldn't listen to him, he could only think about her. Nat, his Nat laughing in that hotel chair, the way his name sounded in his lips. The way she sang Ed Sheeran's songs. The way her shoulders shivered when she was getting sleepy or cold. Her smile, her hair, her scent. Her arms around him. 

He needed to touch her, to hold her, to... kiss her, for the first and last time.

Gabriel had pushed Chat Noir aside when he tried to stop him from getting closer to both girls.

-Ma... Mayura... my love? – he whispered extending a hand to her cheek. But he didn't see Ladybug's yo-yo hit him in the chest, making him fly and hit a wall a few meters away from them.

-How dare you, monster, call her that? How dare you even... - Ladybug could barely speak or breathe, she was fully covered in tears. Mayura still lying dead in her arms.

Hawkmoth hit the wall of a chimney and fell. He slowly opened his eyes, he was so absorbed by his thoughts and feelings he didn't feel pain at all, yet, he didn't feel like standing up. He couldn't take it. She was dead. He closed her eyes and a tear fell down his cheek. 

But just at that moment, the moment his eyes were almost closed, he saw a red dazzling light.

When he realized what happened, a small young girl with pink pants and a white blouse was sitting on the floor with her arms empty, completely muddled.

-MA... MARINETTE? – yelled Chat Noir his eyes fixed on her.

-I... I – the girl stuttered, staring at her empty arms. 

Gabriel was shocked, he was still sitting on the floor staring at this girl. Yet, he didn't care about Ladybug's secret identity, he cared Mayura was missing.

Just a split of a second after this whole commotion started, the small girl flew across the sky and hit the floor in the opposite direction Hawkmoth had. Without the suit she was vulnerable, so when she hit the floor, she was automatically paralyzed by pain. Soft groans could be heard from her. 

-MARINETTE!!! – yelled Chat Noir, jumping to her side.

A soft, yet firm laughter came from the place Ladybug had kneeled with a dead Mayura in her arms. There she was, Mayura, standing perfect with her fan in her left hand. Holding both earrings in her right hand.

-Children... - she laughed -so easy to trick - She jumped, and flipping, landed in front of Hawkmoth.

-Here... my love – she smiled extending her hand and depositing the earrings on his gloved hand.

-Nat... - he softly whispered.

-Shhh... You can thank me later; we still have one miraculous to go- she side-smiled and jumped back into the air.

Gabriel didn't understand. Nathalie had tricked Ladybug to get close to her. She had tricked them all. She had faked her death in order to steal the earrings. It was perfect, the best plan anyone had thought. He smiled and just by knowing Nathalie was fine he felt his energy renewed. He felt invincible. He didn't care about the miraculous anymore. He wasn't even sure what he'd do once he got the ring too.

And honestly, he didn't care. The happiness of her standing, breathing, moving was bliss to him. 

Mayura, on the other hand, was using all remaining energy to project this aura of health and strength, but deep within her, she was losing it, losing the battle. She knew she wasn't going to last much longer, she needed to make the most of it before... it happened, for real, this time. And with Ladybug down, it wasn't going to be long before they took the ring. She just needed to hold on.

Adrien Agreste's anger grew exponentially as he saw blood coming out of Marinette's nose. She was still awake but was barely able to move and he knew she was probably severely hurt. Chat Noir lost his unwavering temper. His wrath exploded. 

Both Hawkmoth and Mayura jumped over Chat Noir, that with the use of his stick parried all the strikes of the villains. He was blinded by anger but he could still see it, as clear as water: the little pause Mayura did after every strike or every kick. He only needed to find the right moment. Chat tried to take the fight as far from Marinette as he could. He knew she was too weak; he certainly didn't want her to get more hurt.

The three of them fought in synchrony. Chat Noir dodging strikes, only waiting for the perfect moment. And there it was... he didn't even stop to think about the consequences. In a split of a second, he jumped, flipped and kicked Hawkmoth's stomach making him land next to Marinette; at the same time, using his stick to hit Mayura hard on her chest.

Mayura felt her last breath escaping her body. She couldn't move, she was starting to lose consciousness. Yet, she realized she was hanging on the edge of the building, the only thing keeping her from falling into her certain death, was Chat Noir's hand. He was holding her from the peacock brooch, still attached to her dress.

-One move and she falls – yelled Chat Noir.

Gabriel stopped and raised his hands in surrender.

Marinette, still lying on the floor, coughed a little bit of blood. 

-One move and I take off this brooch, one move and she dies. I swear - Chat Noir's voice had deepened in anger. He was snorting.

-Chat! N... No... you are not like this... - Marinette said in a very low, yet audible voice. – You're not... a killer.

Chat Noir's eyes rolled to Marinette's, she softly smiled at him.

-The earrings – he warned again.

Hawkmoth was so bewildered he couldn't move.

-Fine... - Chat Noir dropped Mayura, instantly grabbing her brooch again -That was close... are you giving me the earrings now?

Gabriel suddenly realized; this was exactly the scenery for his recurring dream. Mayura, Nathalie, falling from a building, him not being able to catch her on time. Her big magenta eyes staring at him, her hand trying to reach his and then... she... hitting the ground. 

-STOP!!! – yelled Hawkmoth. -HERE!!! – he extended his hand with the earrings on it.

-N... No... Don't... mind me – said Mayura – Let... me go.

-NEVER! – he yelled at her –I am NEVER letting you go.

-Awww, so he does love you, pretty bird- Chat Noir mocked Mayura. -Give the earrings to Marinette. NOW!

Nathalie was practically unconscious now.

Gabriel did exactly what the cat said. He placed the earrings in her hand.

-I am so sorry, Ladybug– he whispered to her.

Marinette didn't say anything. She only closed her hand around the earrings.

-Awesome doing business with you – said Chat Noir tossing Nathalie into the air like a doll.

Hawkmoth jumped off the building, indeed, her big magenta eyes staring at him, her hand trying to reach him. Yet, he was able to catch her just in time, before she hit the floor. He slowly landed on the street with Mayura's body in his arms.

He didn't even hesitate. He jumped back home.