TWENTY-NINE: canned beans

"They're back!" Claire yells from her position in the window.

I run towards the girl and lean over to get a better view out the window. She was right, they were all back. We both sit there in silence for a little, watching them all unload the packages of food.

"So..." Claire whispers, breaking the tension.

"What?" I ask, turning my eyes away from the window to my little sister.

"What the hell just happened between you and Carl?" she says with her arms crossed and a sly smile placed on her lips.

I felt my face start to burn. "You saw that?" I exclaim as I put my hands to my face in an act of embarrassment.

Claire smiles even wider, "Tyreese did too"

"You've got to be fucking kidding me" I yell as I throw my hands up in defeat. I start to pace back and forth next to my sister. How could I have been so stupid? I mean I liked Carl like a lot but I wasn't ready for people to know. I stop pacing and put my hands on my sister's shoulder. "Please don't tell anyone Claire"

"Don't tell anyone what?" I hear a voice say from behind me.

And as if I wasn't embarrassed enough, I turn around to see Glenn and Maggie standing in the doorway to the church with packages filled with food in their hands, staring at me. I feel my cheeks light on fire. I was the most embarrassed I had ever been. "Nothing!" I quickly blurt.

Claire steps out from behind me and smiles, "Kissing Carl isn't nothing!"

I quickly push my sister out of the way and turn back towards the couple. "I didn't kiss Carl" I lie but I could tell Maggie and Glenn didn't believe me. They both had the dumb smile my sister was wearing just a second ago and it drove me crazy.

"Ha! You owe me 10 dollars!" Glenn says as he extends his hand out, waiting for Maggie to pay up.

Maggie slowly pushes Glenn's hand out of the way. "I'll get back to you on that" she says with a little laugh.

I start to fiddle with my hands again. Was it really that obvious we liked each other? How many more people knew? Did they have bets too? I had so many questions but I didn't want to know the answers. I was already embarrassed enough.

"Please don't tell anyone!" I plead.

Maggie walks down the pew and rests her hand on my shoulder. She looks me in the eyes and smiles, "We won't, I promise"

I give Maggie a small smile and whisper, "Thank you"

Maggie smiles even wider as she releases her hand from my shoulder. "And if you need anyone to talk to just let me know. I'm here for you."

I smile up at Maggie and nod, "Thank you"

"I'm here too!" Glenn yells from the aisle in between the pews.

I roll my eyes, "Like I would tell you anything asshole" I tell Glenn jokingly.

Glenn gives me a wink, "Aw come on, you know you love me"

I cross my arms and let out a small laugh. It amazes me that Glenn always knows how to make me laugh. "Whatever you want to think Glenn"