Chapter 36: Concurrence

Namjoon was sitting at his desk, typing away at his calculator; he didn't have time to renegotiate every one of his contracts, but he couldn't let Mirai steal his business partners.

She had aparently made generous offers to all of his biggest partners; resulting in all of them asking better prices from Namjoon. He doubted she could actually afford the prices she was offering his partners, but just by putting an offer on the table she became a concurrent and that made the prices of all of his business partners skyrocket.

He kept on making calculations and trying different numbers, but no matter the method he used he always came to the same results; he was fucked. He couldn't pay all these new tarifs; he would soon start loosing partners and they would go straight to Mirai.

He threw the calculator across the room and it went flying just over Jin's head as he walked in the office.

''It's a bad time, isn't it?'' he asked, half-jokingly.

''Is it ever a good time?'' Namjoon grumbled, rubbing his temples. ''Please tell me it's not more bad news...''

''I could tell you the news are good, because I am an excellent liar, but I'm afraid the truth would be more useful to you...'' Jin said before sitting in the chair in front of Namjoon's desk.

''Go on...'' Namjoon said, taking in a deep breath in preparation for yet another setback.

''As a test of loyalty or as punishment, Yakuza often resort to the cutting of a part of a finger. Just like the way tattoos mark yakuza men, people with butchered hands are often associated with criminal gangs and thus face scrutiny, some even struggle to find jobs...'' Jin explained calmly.

''I know... A lot of the people who worked for Mirai's father had missing fingers... But what does that have to do with me now?'' Namjoon asked.

''I try to keep your relations with politicians and business people clear and find you all the information you want, but I had a feeling I wasn't getting the truth and that some people were avoiding me... I finally found out why... Two of our closest allies, a certain politician and the head of the police department have apparently had a finger cut off... The rest of our ''friends'' must be afraid of meeting the same fate by associating with us...''

''The raising tarifs and now this? Mirai is clearly trying to cut me off from my allies... ''

''Mirai isn't your only problem....''

''What do you mean?''

''Everyone thought you were untouchable and so they all preferred to stay on our good side... but now that Mirai defied you, they know you're busy dealing with her. Some people think this is the perfect chance to get rid of you...''

''My... this girl is really a handful...'' Namjoon sighed.

''Yeah, but she might not be for long...''

''What do you mean?''

''By starting this war, she opened the door to new players on this territory. We're not the only one who'll have to deal with the competition...'' Jin explained.

''Keep pestering your contacts, I need to know where she is and get her back by my side. If something was to happen to her I... I...'' Namjoon said his words getting suck in his throat and his breathing getting jagged.

Jin looked shocked to see Namjoon looking so desperate.

''We'll find her boss, we'll find her...''

***

''Dear Mirai, it's been so long!'' a familiar voice said.

Mirai's heart almost stopped. It was Yvan's brother.

After the death (murder) of her ex fiancé, her relationship with the russian mob had been tensed. 

They were (rightfully) suspecting that she had killed him to avoid going through with their wedding, but due to the lack of evidence and their lucrative partnership, they had to keep on civil terms. Yvan's brother in particular carefully avoided her since the event. 

What could he want from her now?

''Yeah, it's really been too long! I'm glad to hear from you. Can I be of any help?'' Mirai said politely.

''Actually, I was hoping I could be the one to help you! I know you're in a bind with Bangtan. Their boss is not easy to work with and we think it's time for someone new to be in charge of the region... We used to be step-siblings, so how about we renew the bonds between our families; together we could bring Bangtan down and share their territory...''

Mirai was in shock. It was almost too good to be true, making a powerful ally in a time of war was a great advantage; there had to be a catch.

Yvan was a violent man, he held true to the reputation of Russian mobsters being ruthless and if she hadn't killed him first; he would have had ended up killing her for sure. If his brother was anything like him, she couldn't trust him this easily.

''I'm hearing you, I'm not against making an alliance. Make me and offer and I'll see where I stand.'' Mirai said.

''I'm not putting any of my man on the line, you still have the lower hand in this conflict... However, I have a big shipment of weapons coming. Usually, I would split it between the highest bidders, but instead I'm letting you the first pick. Tell me how much you want and how much you're willing to pay; and if I like your numbers we have ourselves a deal.'' The man explained.

As expected; it was too god to be true. This wasn't an alliance; just a sales pitch. He wasn't offering her a gift; just a small discount...

Still, she knew too well that if she refused the offer, Namjoon would be the one to take it...

''All of it. Make the Kuromiya clan a price for the whole shipment and I'll buy it all; consider it a commemoration of our families bonds.''

***

Author's note: This chapter is more centered on the mind games of the war between Namjoon and Mirai; but the next one is gonna be much more eventfull! Not to spoil you but I kinda cried writing the next one... x,D

I don't talk about real-life a lot, but since this chapter came out two whole days late; I think I owe y'all an explanation. My step-father had an accident at sea (he's a fisherman) so the last few days have been devoid of sleep and full of stress; fortunately everything is better now. He made it to shore safely and has received the care he needed and I have had a full noght of sleep at last! :)

Thank you so much for your patience waiting for this chapter; next update will be timely for sure! :D 

Have a lovely day; I hope you all stay safe and healthy! :D