Chapter 17

She was blinded by the penetrating light that flooded the room. She didn't know how long she'd slept, she couldn't move her body but it wasn't because of fatigue, well maybe a little, but there was actually another reason; some strong arms around her. 
She realized that her head rested on someone's firm chest and that the heat of her body came from this person. She slowly looked up to find the handsome face of her boss fully asleep, just as she remembered him, so peaceful, so young; if this was heaven then she thanked God she'd died. 

It took her a while to actually understand she was alive. That she was lying in Gabriel Agreste's bed. That she lay in his arms. That it hadn't been a dream. That he had actually given up on Ladybug's earrings to save her. And she smiled. 

She admitted to herself that her whole body was in pain. Yet, she was able to pull up her hand and take it to Gabriel's cheek. She slowly and gently caressed his skin. He must have been really tired, for he didn't feel her touch. 

Nathalie spent a while like that, staring into his face, caressing his cheek and hair, when he slowly opened his eyes. Blinded because of the light, he only saw Nathalie's outline. She was without a doubt an angel. Slowly he realized she wasn't one, it was just her, in the flesh. And his heart restarted filled with joy. 

-Nathalie? - he sat at once staring into the beautiful woman laying next to him. 

-Gabriel- she whispered back. 

-You... Oh my God... -he pulled her into his arms. -You are awake, you are fine, you are here, I was... Oh God.

-I... I... - she started but Gabriel couldn't let her finish. 

-You have no idea how terrified I was for losing you. I couldn't live without you, my love. I need you by my side. I... I love you so much... do you understand that Nathalie? I love you! I love you Nathalie Sancoeur!

Maybe this time Nathalie would understand. 

-I don't want anything else - he continued - I only want you. I don't want the miraculous, I want this. You, by my side calling my name at night. Brewing coffee in the morning. Holding my hand and... this...

Slowly and very carefully he leaned over her, stroked her cheek with his thumb as he watched the warm glow of her turquoise eyes. And with a soft, small movement he closed the distance between them. He kissed her lips as if she was the most fragile object in the universe. It was a small kiss and he quickly pulled away. Fire in his eyes.

But that wasn't enough for her, she quickly pulled him back to her. She placed her hands behind his neck, she so longed for this. This kiss was way more passionate, it imprinted all of her love and desire. And slowly he succumbed to her kiss. The pain in her body wasn't stopping her. Soon they were both intertwined kissing. Her fingernails gently scratching the skin of his arms. 

Her mind and heart speeding up, how she wanted this man. How she wanted him, since that night in the hotel. 

And for as much as Gabriel wanted this, he stopped. He knew Nathalie needed to rest. 

-Nat... - he whispered in her lips. 

She stopped kissing him and stared at him, fearing he had repented. 

-My love... I do want you... so much. But you need to rest - he smiled at her. 

-I don't need to rest... I need you.

-And here you have me... forever. But I need you to heal, I will be here next to you every minute and every second. Please, do it for me  - He kissed her softly - yes? 

Nathalie didn't want to stop, yet, her common sense indicated Gabriel was right. So she nodded. And kissing him one last time, she snuggled back on his chest. Falling asleep almost immediately.