IV

"What... How...?" I stuttered, not knowing how he was here. 

        Adonis smiled, walking towards me with a slight limp. His black hair was matted as I remembered, like some liquid dried in it, his white dress top stained with what appeared to be red wine.

        "I missed you, petit frère. You look well, though on the pale side," he cupped my cheek and ran his chilling thumb across my skin before turning towards my door, "Come along, Kaleb. Into your room."

        I nodded and followed, opening the door before stepping in. I lit a small candle before waving my hand slightly, the flame splitting into smaller spheres that moved within the faint light the sky gave off.

        "Why are you here, Ami Frère? " I turned towards the door and quickly shut it.

        "I came to warn you, dearest Kaleb." His lighthearted tone was serious, something I wasn't used to from him. Staying silent, I raised a single brow as I moved towards the tree.

        "About?"

        "Your father."

        I paused, glancing at him.

        "What about my father, Adonis?"

        "He is not what he seems. He is a cruel, wicked man. You have to be careful in these crucial years, jeune ami." His voice was tight, as if he was overtaken by fear.

        "I trust my father, Adonis. Sure, he can be mean and unjust towards my family, but he means well." I lifted myself up onto the sturdy branches.

        "Why are you so adamant about protecting his name?"

        "Because at the moment, I am the only one who can. Those who spread false words are not welcome in my presence. I despise liars." I climbed higher up, as if the higher I climbed, the further his lies would be.

        "Everyone has to lie at one point, my young one. Many people lie all the time in the real world. That is how life goes. You cannot live a fulfilling life without crossing upon someone who does not speak the truth all the time," Adonis followed me up, trying to reason with me.

        "Then I will try to do the impossible: live a completely honest life." I hated lies. I would rather be crying over the truth than comforted by a lie.

        "Kaleb, bel enfant, I beg with my eternal being that you listen to the words I tell you." His voice sounded pitiful as he pleaded, following me up to the top of the great oak.

        I was hesitant before looking into his dark chocolate eyes. His eyes were pleading as well as the voice he uses to speak.

        "... Alright, frère aimant. I will listen to your words, but I'll decide on my own if I shall believe if there are any truth behind them."

        "Thank you, Kaleb. Your father is using the Valiquette family name to feign innocence. Do you know why every year around Christmas he buys gifts for the orphans?"

        "Because he is a good person under all his layers," I answered, looking up at the ocean of twilight through the thinning leaves, little sparkling gems standing out against the midnight.

        "So he isn't suspected. He is like a modern mob boss, much like Chicago's Al Capone," he was greeted with a look of confusion from me, "Sorry, I forgot you don't know who Al Capone was. Anyway, he has a facade. To the public, he is a strict, but caring man. That isnt who he is to the Underground though. La Mort Silencieuse. He runs that. It is an Underground 'business' that kills the people on their lists."

        I scoffed at his words 

        "My father wouldn't kill. Yes, he can be abusive sometimes, but all he does is hit, not kill."

        "He doesn't do it directly. He only kills the ones he seem 'worthy' enough to die by his hands. He has others kill for him. If he doesn't kill you right away, he gains your trust and slowly kills you. La Mort Silencieuse are known to be merciless, preying off of fear from the weak, blood from the lambs they slaughtered, and tears of the innocent," Adonis was staring at my face, watching me.

        "I don't believe you, dear Adonis. I'm sorry, but I cannot imagine my own family being connected to that," I looked in his eyes, overwhelmed by the sadness in them, like the depths of a muddy yet beautiful pond in the eve of night.

        "I see... Thank you for listening, but you will soon realize my words are the truth, friend." Adonis disappeared, a strong somewhat coppery smell lingering in the air. 

        A sigh escaped my lips like a bird flies from the cage once the iron door is opened. I leaned against the rough bark as my eyelids closed softly.

        My father... capable of doing such despicable things... That must be false... right..?

​​​​​

___________________________
French Words:

Petit frère: little brother

Ami Frère: brotherly friend

Jeune ami: young friend

Bel enfant: lovely child

Frère aimant: loving brother

La mort silencieuse: The Silent Death

P.S. Adonis ISN'T Kaleb's brother. Kaleb is the eldest son. Adonis was just close to him during his first day on Earth and because he looks so much like the rest of the Valiquettes, Kaleb assumes he's an older brother.