Five

Chapter Five:

A loud ringing sounded. And when Theodora sat up blinking back the sunlight, blindly searching for the source, she didn't remember where she was. Until of course she did, and suddenly she was wide awake and the sound stopped.

"Malcolm?" She called, sliding off his bed. She raced into the living room, finding the couch empty. "Hello?"

Wait, why was she in his room?

The ringing sound began again, much louder than last time. She jumped, feeling her phone in her back pocket dance around. Theodora slipped it out and clicked answer, pressing it against her ear.

"I've been calling you all morning."

"I didn't realize I was that tired. To sleep past all your excessive phone calls."

He chuckled, "I'm working a case. With the team."

"The team?"

"Gil, Dani and Jerry."

Now it was her to turn to laugh, "JT?"

"Yeah, whatever— Anyways, I'll send you the address."

"The address for what?"

He huffed, mumbling something. She could hear Gil's voice in the background, ordering them out.

"We got a break in the case. We think we know a suspect. I'll send you the address, meet me there?"

"If I keep tagging along and you get fired from the NYPD, it's not my fault. Alright?"

She could feel his smile, "See you there."

Theodora hung up, shoving her phone back into her pocket. Something was digging into the front of her leg and she frowned, discovering Malcolm's keys still where she had put them last time.

She raced down the steps, tugging her shoes on and flying out the door. She locked it quickly before rushing down the streets.

Her phone buzzed once again, and she hastily grabbed it and read the text from her friend. It was the address, and it was on the other side of downtown.

It took her twenty minutes to find the correct apartment building, and she was trying to catch her breath when a hand patted her on the back.

"Ran a marathon?"

She looked up to see Malcolm, sending him a glare.

"I saw you running back there. Drove by you."

Theodora huffed, tossing him his keys and the finger.

"C'mon." JT brushed by her, "We need to catch him before he's gone."

Theodora nodded, following behind the two detectives and next to her friend. They were all silent until they reached the correct floor of the apartment building, JT was the first to speak as they approached a single green door.

"Nico Stavros. Each victim sent him a payment within the last month." Dani explained, "Hopefully he's home."

JT shrugged, banging on the door. "NYPD!" He leaned forward attempting to see trough the peep hole. "Lights are off."

"Gil said to wait. He's pulling up a warrant." Dani sighed, "Should be done soon."

"I see movement." JT exclaimed, both him and Dani pulled up their guns and had them up and loaded within seconds.

"You two stay behind us."

Theodora didn't argue as she walked behind Malcolm, listening as JT yelled who they worked for again.