002.

"Can you do my hair after school?" I need this shit done," Niecey typed on her phone as she talked to me

"Can you do my hair after school?" I need this shit done," Niecey typed on her phone as she talked to me. I didn't see anything wrong with her hair but I could tell she was tired of forcing her thick hair into buns everyday. Her baby hairs laid perfectly still on her brown skin, my friend was flawless.

Niecey and I were childhood besties. Blood couldn't make us any closer. She was like a sister to me. We went from stealing each other's crayons to being close as the crayons in the box.

I loved her, she always kept it real and never folded even when I had my doubts.

"I gotta do a head but I can get you in right after. What you want done?" I grabbed ice from my cup, crunching it down wit' my teeth. I had a thing for eating it, had no taste but the crunchiness of it was damn near addicting.

"Box braids, I bought hair yesterday I was gone have Tesha do it but she's tripping," she took her eyes off her phone and looked at me. "Thank you friend,"

"You welcome," I smiled at her watching Mr. Simmons walk into the classroom.

"Good morning class," he walked into the front of his desk, sitting on top of it and looking around for any missing faces.

A mocha colored face followed in behind him. He was tall and I mean skyscraper tall. He had large hands and his dimples showed as he smiled awkwardly.

"We have a new student, Ra'Shawn. You may sit wherever you'd like," Mr. Simmons looked at him and he just nodded slouching down into an empty desk.

"Y'all do that homework last night?" Tysen leaned in between Niecey and I. "Please tell me one of you niggas did that shit,"

"Tysen getcho' shit together, you always slacking off," I rolled my eyes, going through my folder for the papers.

"It's the perfect time to slack off, we finna graduate." He ranted balling up some papers and getting up from the desk to throw it away. "I just gotta get this D up in here and I'll be gucci,"

"They not gone let you graduate," Niecey put her phone down and just shook her head. But they let anybody graduate at Brentfield, all the potheads that came to school just to sleep graduated. So Tysen got a chance.

I found the homework and sat it on Tysen's desk.

Mr. Simmons just put it on a movie today but of course we had to write a review over it. Luckily for me, I've seen Freedom Writers too many times so this nap was about to be crucial.

He switched the lights off, the smartboard showing a still picture of the movie. I decided to rest my head on the desk, making the brightness on my phone dim.