chapter twenty five

"Your mom dropped by while you were at work," Silas said as soon as I threw my keys down on the counter. I had just stepped into my front door, what the hell?

"My mom?" I asked in near horror. Sure, I had given her my current address. She was my mother after all. But I never expected her to show up at my doorstep. She hadn't even called me to warm me at least. But then again how could I be surprised? This wasn't unlike her in the slightest.

"Yes," he said, turning to glance at me. "Aries opened the door."

"Aries?" I cried out in shock.

"Yes, Aries," he said, raising an eyebrow. "Would you have preferred it to be me?"

My mouth opened then shut, searching for a good answer. "I-I don't know. Maybe? I just feel like you wouldn't...intimidate my mom as much?" I nearly cringed as the word 'intimidate' left my mouth. Way to go, me.

"You don't think I'm intimidating?" He cocked his head to the side slowly. His frosty blue eyes went black without warning making me flinch. "How about now?"

"Stop, you know what I mean," I grunted, making my way closer to him. "Aries is a dick."

"But you like Aries," he said.

"I do. But that doesn't mean he's not off putting to others who don't know him. You're much...nicer." I sat next to him on the couch.

"Nicer?" He parroted, pursing his lips. "I suppose."

"Don't be mad at me," I leaned over and left a soft, reassuring kiss on his lips. "You intimidated me at first."

"That's not really what I was going for."

I shrugged. "Well, it still happened. Did you know that not smiling can really throw people off?"

"Can it?" He asked. "I never noticed with the amount of times you brought it up."

I glared at him. "Don't be a dick."

"Aries said that your mom came in to see the apartment," he said, causing me to groan. "And she asked why is there three occupied rooms if you only have one roommate." My lips parted. Oopsie. "You told your mother that you only have one roommate?"

I smiled sheepishly. "I thought it would be easier than saying I'm rooming with two men. My parents are kind of overprotective."

"Mhm," he hummed. "She invited him over for dinner and said he could bring us over if he wanted."

I nearly scoffed, rolling my eyes. "When?"

"He suggested tomorrow night since it's your day off," he said.

I gritted my teeth. "When I see him, I'm going to kill him."

"Why?"

"My mom is from a different generation. She would never understand...whatever the hell is going between us three. I'm going to need to come up with another lie," I murmured, racking my brain. "Little does she know the one thing my dad warned her about will be in her house tomorrow."