Chapter 82

Rishabh halted at the periphery of the shaded area, and intently examined the occupants of each table. No bullying elements were in sight. But a friend was.

Prithvi was sitting by himself at a table in a peaceful corner, scanning a book and scribbling in a large notepad occasionally. Some of the girls seated at adjacent tables were casting doe eyes at him, patting their hair frequently, talking loudly to their friends and giggling noisily. Their attention-grabbing efforts were going to waste though.   

Rishabh swiftly walked to a vacant table and dumped his bag on it. He yanked its zip open and began pulling out and rifling through his books one by one. He hoped he’d carried it today.

He hadn’t seen Prithvi for more than two weeks now. Plans to meet him in the hospital had initially been disrupted by his own ill health. Then his mother had arrived in Shamli for a flying visit. During that time, she’d learnt about his hospitalisation in February, and the fact that he had not reimbursed Prithvi for the expenses incurred for his treatment….

Later, he’d stated his plan to visit Prithvi in Ayodhya while having lunch with his friends. The mere mention of Prithvi’s name had evoked serious irritation in Nandini. It had baffled him, and Vrinda and Nishi’s virulent hisses hadn’t helped clear his confusion. But he’d understood enough to shelve the plan temporarily. He’d warily asked about Prithvi  yesterday, and Nandini had readily spoken on the topic and also shared her exasperation at Prithvi's disregard for his health. She'd looked a little depressed while talking, but an intense affection for Prithvi had been evident in her voice and visage all the same. 

It had puzzled Rishabh. Fortunately, Nishi had taken pity on him and furtively disclosed the truth. 

The news hadn’t surprised him. In truth, it had felt like a completely natural development. It somehow felt right that those two be together…

“Yes!” Rishabh exclaimed under his breath on locating the cheque in a big notebook. He swung the bag onto his shoulder, and holding the book in one hand, hurried towards Prithvi.

****************************

Prithvi stared amusedly at the cheque that Rishabh was uncomfortably extending to him.

“I don’t usually charge for sharing information about my health,” he said ironically.

Rishabh, who had spent the last five minutes making enquiries on the subject of Prithvi’s operation and recovery, chuckled and sheepishly said, “I’ve been walking around with it for the past two weeks. You helped me out during the hospitalisation in February. I should have repaid you sooner. I’m sorry it took so long. I didn’t have the money at that time, and I… didn’t want to trouble my mother…because we’ve been facing financial problems. But the situation is better now, so we wanted to - ”

“Put the cheque away. If I expected repayment, I would have taken the money from you long ago,” Prithvi said impatiently.

“I can’t. My mother has become very sensitive in money matters since my father - I guess you know all about it….about my father being in prison for larceny,” Rishabh said miserably. “Nandini must have told you -”