Chapter Ten- Life's a Beach

I look around my darkroom half-awake still dazed from reading, as I set the book down that I spent all night reading. Moving to the window I slowly opening it letting the soft morning light come in as I look out to my amazing view of another brick building. I can see from the low light outside that it can't be later than 5 in the morning. I stand there for a moment just admiring the little view that I have of the city, in my book that I just read it was all about a young girl adventuring out on her own and struggling to find herself. At least I know why my mom gave me that book... but despite that, it has still gotten me all emotional. The main character always gets away to relax on her nearby beach. To help her think, relax and unwind.

Sighing moving to sit on my bed, it reminds me of when Kat and I ran away for the night to the beach. We needed to get away from everything and especially Kat needed to from everything she was dealing with. I really miss her in times like these, not that I can't go to Max, but she never shared those memories with me... just like how Kat is not sharing any of my new memories in the city with me. Her always being absent from my life and my memories are weird, and I miss sharing those times with her.

Standing up I make the decision that I'm going to the beach regardless. I grab a small bag in the corner of my room to start packing up a few things and change out of my clothes. I sneak past Max still sleeping on the couch and out the door. The cool morning air hits my face as I leave my apartment building and start down the street towards the subway. Since our dance competition, we have a small break before we train for the next choreography my head spins on where I want to go. Finally making up my mind I get head into the subway for a long ride.

About 30 minutes into my subway journey to Coney Island, my phone starts to buzz, and I see Jack's name on the screen.

Where are you

Confusion falls over my face as I see the text and the time on my phone screaming 5:41 am. Why in the world is he awake right now? And why does he think I am not only awake but not at my apartment? I look slowly around the subway car seeing no one else on it just like before. This is very weird but if I answer him then he will know I'm doing something because I have never up this early unless I must be.

Dawn I'm serious

Looking down at this next text I start to feel annoyed. I am finally taking a day for myself and somehow, he knows. As excited as I have been to see him and be near him, I can't help but remember what he said to me right before I left for the city. I had almost not taken my chance to join a dance company just to be around him. And I'll be damned if I decide not to do something because of him again.

I know you're awake

Dawn

Come on

I roll my eyes. I don't know how he knows I'm awake, but I don't care. Today is a me-day and that is how it's going to be. No distractions especially not him, I'm just going to relax and enjoy my own company today. I stare at the messages for a moment deciding whether this is a good idea or not before I turn off my phone. I know that Max will be able to take care of herself and yesterday she said she had an appointment with a therapist today which I'm sure she will want some privacy after that. Plus, she can take care of herself. Kat never really texts me anymore and after that fight or whatever it was that we got into, she definitely won't be trying to get ahold of me for a while.

I lean back in my seat and decide to pull out the book that I brought with me since I couldn't sit on my phone anymore.

Before I know it I've reached Coney Island and I head off the train and head straight for the beach. All of the rides and games aren't open yet and there is barely anyone insight, which I love. Making it to the boardwalk the sun is starting to shine and I walk down it for a bit enjoying the warmth from the sun before heading over to the beach.