Chapter 55

Rowan felt Kaerius shuffle closer to him as his mum and dad hugged and cried on each other for the first time in twelve years. It was such a shocking sight, Rowan couldn't look away, even when Kaerius softly kissed him on his bruised cheek. As Rowan tried to think about them ever being affectionate, parts of his childhood started to form. His mother, when he was little, was smiley and happy. Rowan started to remember being happy before it all changed. The curse had formed fake memories in his head too.

"They love now," Kaerius whispered, not wanting to disturb the silence too much. His head was close enough to feel Rowan's hair tickling his forehead. Kaerius wanted to be close after what happened. The moment he ran to the sea, he regretted leaving Rowan. Kaerius wanted to learn how to fight. He had a feeling that hunters would always be an issue.

"Yeah, they've got their bond back." Rowan stared for as long as he could before his vision blurred. He wanted to cherish the memory. "I'm so happy for them." Kaerius then kissed his cheek again, and Rowan could tell that he wanted the attention. He turned to look into his captivating purple eyes. Rowan's heart ached to see them so mangled with worry. "Are you okay? The day has been quite stressful," he whispered.

Kaerius looked puzzled. "I fine. Rowan hurting, not Kaerius."

Rowan raised an arm and traced the back of his good hand down Kaerius's cheek. He noted how warm his skin felt. "I'm glad you got away."

Kaerius was about to hug Rowan, but Mandy said, "I can't believe this has happened." They turned their attention to the two people falling back in love. "My poor Mike. You've aged well. You've barely changed at all."

Rowan suspected that it was easy for his mum to know that they were telling the truth about the curse. He could tell when Kaerius was lying because of the bond. Mandy could tell when Michael was too.

"I've dreamt of this day. I don't care if it has been twelve years or thirty. You remember our bond, and that's all I care about." They hugged again, and Rowan saw his father's broad smile and eyes that gleamed brighter than the sun. Everything was slotting back into place. Seeing his parents together and in love was how it should have always been. Fate brought their souls together. The curse had poisoned their minds and wasted precious time with each other. Rowan was going to make sure nobody ever got cursed again. He couldn't allow anyone to go through such torture.

"I've seen myself. I look so much older than forty-one."

"You don't; you're just tired. You have been for years."

Mandy rubbed her eyes and scraped her hair back from her face. Then her dark blue eyes connected with Rowans, her son. "If it's been twelve years, that makes you... eighteen."

Rowan weakly smiled. The longer he sat down, the more sunken his body felt. Despite Rowan feeling like he had been hit by a bus, he sat forward on the couch when his mum stood up. "I'll be nineteen next month."

Mandy shook her head in disbelief. "I've missed you grow. Look at you; you're a man now." Her eyes sparkled as bright as his dads. Rowan tried to memorise the way she looked. His mother had never looked at him with so much pride.

When he rose to his feet, Mandy had to look up to meet his gaze. "You're so tall," she whispered and hurried to him. Rowan closed his eyes when she hugged him. He had been hugged by his mother many times, but now he felt different. This version of his mother gave warmer embraces.

"Yesterday I could just about carry you to bed when you fell asleep on the couch." Mandy looked back up and into his eyes that were just like looking at his father. "Twelve years is so much to miss." She took his good hand and held it tight. She stared at it like his hand was made of magic. "Michael, you said that I treated our son horribly because of the curse, is that true?" she asked, though looked to Rowan for the answer. When Rowan nodded, and his eyes turned sad, and his mouth struggled to smile from the memories, Mandy looked away in shame. "I would never-" Sorrow made her choke on her words. "If it was me, Oh Rowan, I love you so much. You would have known that every day if it was me, every single day." She hugged him again and Rowan, through all the pain, bent down to hug her back.