Chapter 11

Amazingly it was already Tuesday morning and I'd barely got any sleep. I followed my regular morning routine and headed out the front door.

Rachel waited for me again, nothing was new. I didn't get any text messages from anyone yesterday other than one from Thomas that said, "love you."

I have to say it did raise my hopes up a little bit. Who knows, maybe today would be better.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I proceeded to my locker, where I found yet another note. It read:

Don't think you're out of the woods yet. I still have a surprise for you up my sleeve.

But then I found a giant clue. On the floor of my locker, I found a strand of red hair. Hair like.. oh my god.

I quickly closed my locker, stunned at what I had found out. I rushed to home room and sat in my seat. In my mind, I put together the pieces. Haley somehow knowing about the incident at the mall even though she wasn't there, the events taking place after the note and me not staying away from Thomas. The red strand of hair. Just like hers. The hate page and how unconcerned she seemed. How she wanted to stay on my good side. It was Haley. She was the person behind the note.

I took a giant gulp. And as if she read my mind, Haley appeared next to me, almost making me jump.

"Hiya," she said.

I turned to face her. "Hey," I said, trying my hardest not to bombard her with questions.

She smiled in delight as if she could smell my fear, and walked over to her seat.

I leaned back in my chair. What would happen next? Does she sense that I know? I had to confront her. I had to tell Thomas and Rachel.

I looked over to my left to see Thomas quietly sitting there. I hadn't even noticed he came in.

I was about to say something when the bell rang, shooting him up and out of his seat. I sighed and went on to history.

It was four minutes until my next class; lunch. That was when I was going to confront Haley.

The bell rang and I quickly left, trying to catch up to her. I saw the back of her red head and tapped her on the shoulder. She spun around, a look of surprise on her face.

"Hey Brooke!" she exclaimed.

"Listen Haley, I'm not going to play games with you. I know you wrote those notes."

Her surprised look faded into a devilish smile. "Well, it's about time you found out," her American accent morphed into a British accent.

Complete shock filled my body. "You're British?!"

"Yes, you foolish git!" she yelled.

"But I don't understand..!" I replied, confusion swelling up my body.

"Well deary, would you like some story time?" she barked in a childish tone.

"Yeah, that would be nice," I said, my confusion being replaced with anger.

She flattened out her skirt, then cleared her throat. "I used to like Thomas. Had a very big crush on him back in England."

"Had?" I said.

Her face scrunched up, "Don't interrupt!"

I obeyed and she continued to talk, "He never noticed me though. Broke my heart," she said, placing a hand on her chest and then continued, "Then I found out he was doing the exchange program to America. I wanted to be with him. So I did it to. And here I am. Arrived here earlier, though, so I'd be familiar with the area. That's why you knew me. Or at least you thought you did," she snickered and continued, "With a new atmosphere, maybe Thomas and I would finally be together."

I couldn't help but interrupt her story, questions floated around in my mind. "Then why are you targeting me?" I asked.

She glanced over at me with a disgusted look on her face and continued, "Then you happened. You got in the way of us. What we could have been. And I hated you for that," she paused, "And I still do!" she laughed maniacally.

My heart beat faster and faster- it was now or never to convince her to stop this. "Listen, just delete the hate page and leave Thomas and I alone."

She continued with her devilish smile and spoke, "I warned you with that note. And you didn't listen. Silly girl."

Then Thomas and his weird behavior popped into my mind. "Wait a minute.. are you the reason why Thomas hasn't been talking to me?"

Her evil smile grew wider, and she turned to walk away. I grabbed her forearm. She jerked her shoulder back with full force, the momentum sending me onto the ground. She turned around to look at me from above. "Remember the note," she said, changing her voice back into her American accent.

I got up. Tears threatened to fall down my cheeks, but I didn't let them. I needed to talk to someone.

I walked over to Thomas's locker, hoping to catch him before our next class. Finally he appeared out of the classroom. He tried to avoid my gaze but he couldn't. I swung his body around so that his back was against the locker.

"Thomas we need to talk," I said calmly.

"I can't right now," was all he said. I noticed that Haley was standing off to the side of the hallway, watching us.

"I know what's going on. Please listen to me."

He tried to escape the situation by ducking under my arms that were on either side of his body.

"I need you!" I exclaimed, my eyes burning with tears.

He stopped trying to struggle and looked at me with his sad brown eyes. His eyes then shifted towards the left, in the direction of Haley. He looked back at me with his crestfallen eyes and then he hurried out of my arms. I stood there for a moment, a couple of tears managing to fall down my cheek. My world had been crushed. There was no one I could talk to. Rachel would never believe that Haley is actually a British psychopath that is ruining my life because I have such a close bond with Thomas, and Thomas is avoiding me.

Just then, the unexpected happened. I saw Logan standing next to me. I made sure I wasn't in the way of his locker.

I sniffed, a little suspicious as to why he would actually want to talk to me. "What is it?" I asked.

He had his hands in his pockets and looked a bit ashamed. "Saw that you were here crying."

I avoided his gaze. "Yeah, and why do you care?"

"Because I realized how much of a jerk I was," he said, his voice full of sincerity.

"Like I'll believe that," I said, not wanting to believe that he has had a change of heart.

He let out a giant sigh, "Look, I know you hate me and all, but I don't want to be the guy that is portrayed as a jerk anymore," he paused and continued, "I want a fresh start."

I looked up at him, and I could see in his eyes that he meant every word he said.

"Fine."

He smiled, "Awesome. Now what's wrong?"

"Everything basically. You wouldn't understand,"

"Gee that sucks," he said scratching his head.

I almost laughed out loud. "Since when was 'gee' part of your vocabulary?" I said.

"Oh uh for a while?" he said smiling but still completely oblivious.

"I would have never thought a popular would use that word."

He overemphasized a shrug and then next thing I knew we walked home with each other.

"Gee, I never would have thought I would get along with you," I said, a smile still evident on my face.

He shook his head, "Maybe I should have never decided to be nice to you in the first place."

And on we walked, cracking jokes like a couple of school kids during recess.