Chapter 23

"To die hating them, that was freedom." George Orwell

Tiana's P.O.V

The sun shakes me awake, reminding me that I'm no longer in hell. It's another wonderful day in Italy. Practically jumping out of bed, I slip on some comfortable clothes and order an Uber to Pisa.

Thanking the driver, I make my way to the famous leaning tower of Pisa and sit and think once more.

When I was reading about this monument, my research informed me that the soil I'm sitting on made this tower famous, Since it is weak, the tower started to lean as it was being built. It's foundation wasn't solid so the building wasn't supported.

My family comes to my mind while contemplating history. I love my family and I know they love me. They just don't pay attention to me enough to see what was going on this year. Even Asher has been distracted. I'm sure no one even noticed I left. Maybe if I had spoken up everything would be different or maybe not. It's not one persons fault really...well besides Ryder of course.

I know my mother's story. Her struggle and triumph makes me aspire to be like her, but instead of fighting the same way she did, I was a coward and ran away from my problems. The only difference in our stories is that her stepfather was her abuser while mine is my own mate.

Ryder's P.O.V

I walk through the coliseum, hoping to find Tiana. No such luck. There's a trace of her scent lingering here, telling me she was here before so at least I know she's in Rome as well.

Every moment I'm searching for her, my emotions become clearer than they have been in years. My heart and mind are finally starting to agree. All I want is to find her.

Pauwau's P.O.V

(flashback to 1692)

It's dark and cold in the attic. I am the last of my family to survive. The silence is frightening, because I know I'm next.

I've lived many lives and died the same amount. The pain and anguish is always very real and unending. My kind has been living in the shadows for centuries, but now we are being hunted, burned, and tortured by humans. I hate humans. They turn to violence when faced with something extraordinary. Their minds are simple and they fear death.

My thoughts are disturbed as I hear incoherent yelling getting louder and closer. There's pounding on the door over and over until I hear the shattering of wood. The overwhelming vibrations of feet stomping around floods my senses.

Suddenly, the hatch flies open and I see pitchforks poking through. Before I could fight back, a human grabs my wrist and ties it behind my back. I struggle to break free as more of them try to restrict and control me.

"To the stake!" one yells, holding up his weapon in triumph. They drag me along and strap me to a wooden stick coming out of the ground. I look around and see the remains of my family charred and burned up.

Is this my fate for this life? Am I meant to be punished? They gather around me with evil intentions, speaking of my abilities.

"This monster will be stopped today! As long as her kind still exists, we are not safe. They must be hunted to extinction!" everyone cheers in agreement. Humans are the real monster.

As they lit a fire under me and I start to burn, I promise myself. I will always protect my family from these ruthless, ignorant humans.

A/N:

I promise this isn't just some useless backstory! I am excited for the next chapter because a big secret will be revealed. I hope you're liking the story. I feel that AMH was very redundant and could have been shorter. To combat this issue, I've tried to keep everything exciting and include variety. Let me know what you think! I always accept feedback and criticism. I hope you enjoyed this important chapter and have a whimsical Wednesday!

Why is this backstory important?

Will Ryder catch up with Tiana before she travels somewhere else?

Where will Tiana go next?

Ryder: Why you talking about my mamma?

Rachel: None of your business

Ryder: It's MY mom

Rachel: And?

Ryder: How would you like it if I talked about your mom

Conlan: I wouldn't do that if I were you

Ryder: Your mammas so fat that when she stepped on the scale she saw her phone number

Rachel: Have you forgotten what I'm capable of?

Ryder: Um./..

Rachel: *starts writing*

Ryder: Ugh...sorry or whatever

Rachel: No matter your skills or strategies, I will always win

Vote

Comment

Follow