Chapter Ten

THE AVENGERS GREW USED TO NOVAS SPUNK. Within days of her eye rolls and snippy comments, she fit right in with Stark. Tony had finally gotten her some new clothes as he promised. Along with a new phone, although she insisted she could not take it. Nova Lee used the opportunity to try and get ahold of her friend May from Dallas.

She had not spoken to her much in the past month, but she had known May ever since her mother's burial. Nova knew that no matter what her friend would be willing to help her out. With a few rings, the call was sent to voicemail. Nova frowned as she typed out a text to let her friend know it was her.

After fidgeting with her new phone for a while, Nova decided to take a walk downstairs to get some food. Before she was able to make it down the stairs a hand went out in front of her, "What'd we tell you about the stairs, Nova? You're never going to recover from the fracture if you can't stop with the direct pressure," Bruce Banner stated in a matter-of-fact tone. Thor came from behind her taking Nova by surprise as he held underneath her armpits and lifted her from the ground. He trudged down the stairs before setting her safely down at the bottom.

Nova hummed with annoyance feeling like a child being carried everywhere. Steve who sat in the kitchen noticed her sulky expression, "don't worry, soon we will start you up on some physical therapy and you'll be able to walk again."

"Better sooner than later," she replied giving a look to Thor who leaned on the kitchen counter beside her. He finally had switched his thick armor for a normal gray tee shirt that wrapped tightly around his arms. His hair remained shoulder length with his long scruffy beard. Even in normal clothing, Thor's aura still screamed different.

"Oh what a joy you are in the morning sweet Nova!" Tony announced sarcastically as he came into the kitchen. She ignored his comment as she rubbed her eyes pouring some coffee into a mug.

"I have a job for you today," he stated taking the toast out of Steve Rogers's hand. Steve huffed in annoyance and got up leaving the kitchen. Thor stayed behind watching the encounter between the two.

"In case you've forgotten, I'm not a genius like all of you. What could I possibly help you with?" Nova asked in confusion as Tony gestured his hand to his work room.

"You're a writer aren't you?" Stark asked as she sat at the chair beside a desk. She nodded slowly, "but I don't see-"

"So you're going to respond to the emails from the angry government while I fix my suit. Sound like a deal?"

Nova looked unamused at Tony as Thor sat down next to her handing over her coffee mug. She took it graciously with a frown on her lips.

"Before you start swearing at me Nova remember I am the one giving you a place to stay," Tony said with a wink as he left the room with a screwdriver in hand.

The girl huffed loudly as Thor eyed the liquid in her coffee cup. "It's coffee," she mumbled as she began typing on Starks computer. She held the mug up to his bearded face, "try it."

The God took it from her hands in an unsettled manner as he held the cup up to his lips taking a sip while still making eye contact with Nova. His eyes widen once the warm liquid hits his mouth, the freckled girl chuckled at his reaction as she turned from the laptop.

"You Midgardans have such strange beverages," He announced taking another sip.

"For being a God, you're not as worldly as I thought you'd be. Aren't Gods supposed to have power over nature? Be knowledgeable in all things? Do they not have coffee where you're from?"

Thor shook his head returning her mug empty, "Asgard does not indulge in such things."

Nova looked at the God thoughtfully, "I suppose earth is more technologically advanced." She continued skimming over Tony's emails as she spoke. "So what did you do for fun there?"

"Fun?"

"Yeah, you know, what type of activities do you enjoy?" She responded trying to put it more in his terms.

"I was meant to be the next King of Asgard" Thor responded sounding unsure. Nova caught onto his tone of voice as she looked into his blue eyes trying to detect the emotion he was feeling.

"And you do not find that enjoyable?" She asked softly.

"I've been so busy ensuring my brother's safety that I haven't given much thought to my future duties."

Nova gave some thought to Thor's words. She began to feel sorry for his inability to determine his own fate. For a God, he had less freedom than she had. Nova couldn't help but feel empathy for Thor. Maybe he was more human than she had previously thought.

"You seem just as lost as I am," Nova mumbled quietly looking beyond her dark lashes to see his soft features.

"I suppose you and I can be lost together then," Thor decided with a simple smile.

••••

That night everyone went to bed earlier than usual, leaving Tony's tower finally quiet. Nova Lee told the avengers she was going to stay up to finish Stark's emails, although Steve offered to stay up with the young girl she insisted she would only be up for a little longer.

A few minutes turned into hours and soon Nova was left with achy limps and an active mind. She paced quietly around Tony's office careful not to bump into anything. Her usual fear that was cast aside for a while had returned that night. What would she do now that the little she had was gone? All these years of her living, had she been living at all? Who was she without her quiet apartment and drawn curtains?

Nova Lee knew all this unfamiliarity would spark fear in her bones. After all, she was on edge since the day her mother died.

The brunette soon made her way out to the living room, she bit her lip tightly as the injuries from weeks before resurfaced. She tried to make her way down to the large glass window that overlooked the city but with her hurt leg, she easily missed a step on the way down. She felt her stomach hit the floor as her face lay against the cold wood.

She remained there with her hair sprawled out against the ground as her eyes began to fill with tears. She choked on her sobs as large footsteps descended on her figure.

"Nova Lee?" the familiar accent calmed the woman for a second before she began her whimpering again.

Thor hurried down the rest of the stairs quickly flipping her onto her back. He knelt on the floor beside her and held her shaking body into his chest. Her eyes were swollen and red as she sniffled quietly.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt?" Thor asked his eyes glistening with worry seeing the girl in such pain.

She finally looked up at him with wide eyes pursuing her swollen lips before she spoke, "I have nothing," she choked out, "I had nothing before but now-"

She stopped for a moment as he ran his large finger over her forehead in a soothing manner. "I have no purpose."

Her words sunk deep into Thor's mind as he shook his head watching her body quiver some more. Perhaps she didn't see it now but the girl did have a purpose. For the God of Thunder, it was easy to see. Something in his mind compelled him to save Nova, she needed him. But maybe she would be just what Thor needed too.

————

Let me know what you think about Thor and Nova in the comments!