5 Years Later.

"The world had grown dim, turned off like a switch, with those left to mourn in the dark

"The world had grown dim, turned off like a switch, with those left to mourn in the dark."

Once again the world was doused in black and white. The days that followed after the snap filled with grief and anguish. Those dealt with the burden of having lived didn't really live at all. Instead, they were mere shells of their former selves. The world now was just plagued with ghosts. Life not what it used to be and with every melancholic breath came with it the strangling feeling of guilt. 

The world, or what was left of it was vulnerable and defenseless. Everyone was riddled with depression and sorrow. Those left were all burdened with being mourners and dealing with the acceptance of all who were lost in the fray. 

Crime rates had gone up as well as the suicide count. With everyone either too depressed or too angry. The monotonous everyday life hard for anyone to get through nowadays. It was difficult to just wake up every morning let alone try to resume on with daily routines. 

Most people couldn't move on and who could blame them? What was the point of life if those you loved were gone? 

There was nothing to celebrate anymore, no future. Heartbreak and misery an epidemic no one could seem to shake. It's aching blight too strong for anyone to try and fight off. 

The world that was left, now after 5 years, looked almost post-apocalyptic. 

There were planes that had fallen straight out of the sky on that day, car wrecks everywhere you looked, destroyed buildings and skyscrapers. Boats sat dead in the harbors, their owners no longer around to sail them. Stadiums and concert halls were vacant, with no one capable of cheering on anything anymore. 

Everything was dark, the smog from the ash of the fallen clouding over every nook and cranny. And, few people crowded in the streets. 

The far less populated and torn down New York reminding me of the black outs. With the deserted streets and dim, quiet homes. Everyone wishing to stay indoors now rather than go out and enjoy life. As there wasn't much life left to enjoy anyway. 

Manhattan no longer a beacon of blinding light so bright that every night I could actually see stars in the navy sky. 

Everywhere you looked, it all was a wreck, pulled apart at the seams. Ripped up and demolished. 

And, as I traipsed through the blocks I stepped over garbage, fallen chunks of buildings, glass shards and ash; ash of the fallen. 

The D.O.D.C., Damage Control, did what they could in trying to clean up the mess but it seemed to be a never ending task. 

Streetlights, billboards, stop signs... They all sparked with electricity and the roads were almost unusable due to the cracked, shredded apart and crater filled black tops. 

New York looked like how cities used to look after being assaulted with airstrikes during the War. Utterly decimated, mauled apart, blown to bits. A mere husk of what it used to be.