Chapter 6

Y/n L/n's POV

"GAH!" My 43rd cry of pain left my lips as I rolled to the ground after getting my side kicked. Yes, I kept track of how many times I yelped...

"It's already been a month and yet you've shown no sign of progress whatsoever" Ms. IU clicked her tongue, judging my entire existence as I trembled next to her feet.

"Get up now" She ordered with the hardest glare known to mankind.

I quickly stood up despite my wobbly legs and caressed my swollen arm. Ms. IU took over Taeyeon's role as my mentor, and has been the farthest from gentle with me. She's been teaching me hand-to-hand combat and the proper way of using my new magic.

The way she teaches with no mercy kind of makes me want to bury myself in a deep hole and stay there until Taeyeon bribes me out. I swear, this woman has no concern over my well-being...

With the little energy I had left, I launched my fist at her face. "Too slow, brat" She blocked it and punched me with her other hand.

As per usual, I fell to the ground and gasped for air. Any more of her punches and I just might end myself on the spot.

"Seriously, why can't you fight properly?! I've been teaching you for weeks now, but all you do is fail and fall! Why did Taeyeon even pick you to be her succe" She got cut off when my fist landed on her face, making her take a few steps back because of the impact.

"Do you ever shut up?..." I mumbled as a vein popped on my forehead. I was starting to get mad and hiding it was impossible. "Call me a failure all you want, but never say I'm the wrong person for this job. I may be incompetent now, but I'll get better and prove to you Taeyeon chose the right person to be her successor"

The smirk on her lips made it obvious that punch did nothing to hurt her, but hey, at least I finally landed my first blow. "I'm going to go really easy on you because you finally managed to hit me, consider it your reward"

She was about to make a counter attack, but I quickly blocked it and kicked her thigh. "That's it, keep it up" A mischievous grin was now pasted on her lips as we traded blows.

She was moving a lot slower now in order for me to keep up with her and even went as far as to not dodge a few of my hits to fire me up. I appreciate the effort, but her punches still hurt like hell.

I quickly returned the punch she sent to my face then proceeded to block her foot that was aiming for my head. I was about to take another hit when she suddenly dissapeared from my sight.

With wide eyes, I looked around the field to try and find her. "Where did she–" Out of nowhere, a black figure emerged infront of me and punched me hard, sending me flying to the other side of the field. Blood came pouring out of my mouth as I immediately lost all my strength to move.

"That was my magic, shadow. I can become one and I can also attack with it" She looked down at me with the biggest smirk and grabbed the back of my shirt, forcing me to stand.

This woman is gonna be the death of me...

The sound of someone clapping made us turn to the direction of the house, there we saw Taeyeon approaching us with a wide smile. "You really did a number on my dearest successor, didn't you?"