Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The orchestra instructor ordered for the whole group to pack up our instruments and get ready to head to our next class. Before I could think to get up from my chair, my instructor stepped down from her podium and helped me up instead. "Don't strain your ankle, Ao," she told me. I smiled and told her thank you. She nodded and helped me with packing up my instrument. Once my violin was all cozy inside its case, the orchestra instructor gladly took it to my locker for me. While she walked away, I grabbed the crutch that leaned against my chair and used it to keep me up like its supposed to. I made sure the splint around my ankle didn't shift somehow and then grabbed my school bag from around my chair. I awkwardly walked over to Craig, who had just finished putting his cello away. He grabbed his backpack and then looked at me. "Are you doing okay?" he asked me.

I chuckled and replied, "Yes, Craig. You've been asking that every time I have to move around. I'm telling you, I'm fine."

"Alright, just making sure," he said, with a smile. The bell rang and Craig and I started walking towards the exit of the orchestra room. We walked outside to go to the other school wing and Craig had asked, "So, since next week is our recital, do you want to have a rehearsal today?"

"Yeah," I answered, "I'd like that. How about at six?"

"I can make six," he said and I smiled. At the mention of our recital, I felt excited. It was coming up next week and Craig and I already finished practicing the song and all we need to do is rehearse and go through it. I'm looking forward to next week, especially since it'll probably be the one thing that'll brighten up these past few weeks. What with being kidnapped, almost getting run over and getting my ankle sprained, I definitely need this recital. I've worked hard on it and so has Craig. I made a promise to myself that nothing, absolutely nothing can go wrong on the night of the recital. I will not allow anything to get in the way. And I'm sure my parents won't either.

They've taken more precautions now, ever since the jogging incident. Now my parents have undercover guards, and not even I know who they are. Apparently, it would make their presence "less known" to enemies, so that way we can all avoid another situation like the one during my run. I found out that, while I was jogging, the four gang members that were following me had caught my guards by surprise and took them into the forest. They were both found dead with the vertebrae around the area of their neck cracked and broken, meaning, the gang members broke their necks. I felt terrible when I found out about it because I was near when it happened and I hadn't known. I felt guilty. If they hadn't taken the job to guard me, then they wouldn't be dead and their families wouldn't be mourning. But, despite this, my parents still needed someone to guard me. So, my guards could be teachers, students, hell even the custodians or lunch ladies. And my father has a team of agents watching the whole school. So yes, "more precautions".

"Hopefully your ankle heals enough for you to stand," Craig said, "Ya know? When you play."

"Yeah, me too," I said, pouting down at my splint. "This thing wouldn't go very well with a black, formal dress either."

Craig laughed and said, "Blue Boo, you can make anything look good."

"D'awwwww," I chimed, "Thanks..!"

Craig chuckled and said, "C'mon, lets hurry to class before we're late."

"Right," I replied, and picked up my pace even though the splint slowed down any pace at all. We walked past people and I tried not to accidentally trip anyone with my crutch, and soon I felt relieved as we were finally coming towards the door to our next class.

...

I carefully slid into the booth, and set my crutch on the very end against the wall. Lunch had started and I already grabbed my tray of food. Craig slid in next to me, while Kayla took the other side of the booth. She seemed giddy today and I had a feeling about the reason why. Then, as if she knew what I was thinking, she admitted, "Oh, my gosh! Regionals is this weekend and I'm so friggin' pumped! I have a good feeling that we're going to win. And I'm going to see if that Madame Drabardi woman was right about the team winning first place."