Chapter 8

Things were really starting to look up for you. Everything seemed to be going well with the boys at the sandlot, they didn't really suspect anything. That being said, you did have to try harder to keep yourself in check around Benny. You accidentally let your guard down once, and squints nearly found out. It was really scary, so you were convinced you wouldn't let it happen again.

Benny was no help, of course. He was always making close calls when it came to the boys and one time even kissed your cheek while they weren't looking. You ended up smacking him in the head, knowing if the boys found out, you'd be done.

He just laughed at you, knowing how nervous you got about it.

Of course, it wasn't always his fault, in fact, most of the time, you would have to snap yourself out of it before you stared too long at Benny. You just couldn't help yourself, he was too adorable.

Needless to say it was really hard to restrain yourselves in front of the boys. Benny didn't understand why you didn't just tell them that you were a girl. He thought that they might be cool with it, but you felt otherwise.

"Look, Benny. I know you've known them longer, but you should hear some of the things they say about girls playing baseball. I don't exactly think they'd welcome me with open arms. Especially since I've been lying to them all this time."

That was only one argument you both had when it came to your secret. Even though he knew how important it was to you, he wanted so badly for them to know, that way he could brag to them that you both were together-ish. Even though Benny was the one who suggested the whole 'fake relationship', he was really the one who wished it was real.

Of course you didn't really treat it as though it was fake. Neither of you did. You were enjoying it just as much as if it were real.

You both had almost forgotten what the whole thing was about, until one morning.

It was one of those mornings where the sunrise was beautiful. Benny had put blankets on his roof for you both to lay on while you watched the bright colors swirl around the sky when the sun had just peaked over the valley. Once the sun got higher in the sky, you decided you were hungry, so you went over to your place for the pancakes you knew your mom was making.

On your way over however, Mikey was leaving the house. He looked at you once, seeing you clad in one of Benny's shirts. He walked up to you, his eyes traveling up and down your body. You crossed your arms over your chest to try and gain some power over the incredibly intimidating man.

"Hey there, pretty girl." He leaned down and whispered in your ear. Benny had just now caught up to you and heard what the man said. He instantly pulled you back behind him, putting himself between you and Mikey.

"You're Benny right?" at this, Benny nodded. He didn't speak. He just nodded. "You should learn to stay out of places you don't belong. Especially if it's none of your business." The tall, infuriating man was poking Benny's chest with every word. Benny had no care in the world. He was protecting his girl.

"What happens to my girlfriend is my business." Benny kept calm, and he didn't retaliate in any way. He handled the situation like he's been preparing for it, and he has.

"Oh. Well, that's certainly not what I was told." He stood back on the side walk, as if he had the higher ground on you. "I believe a few weeks ago when I asked the little lady if you were going steady she said you were just friends." Those weren't even your exact words but okay. Yes, he had a point, but Benny had a better one.

"What she said then, she said to keep herself safe. I should call the cops on you ya know. Then this neighborhood would have one less pervert floating around." Benny suddenly felt really big when he saw the man's face contort into one of fear. Of course it only lasted a moment, and was gone the next.