55. family dinners & familiarities

Just walk away Renee,

you won't see me follow you back home

- The Left Banke, Walk Away Renee.

River

"Aw, River's so sweet, honey, look what he got me," Karly said as came out of the kitchen, fondly sniffing the bouquet of daisies I'd gotten to her.

Renée's dad chuckled and gave me a smile, "Thanks for making my wife happy." Everyone chuckled, and then, he proceeded to give me a handshake, "Nice to meet you, River. I'm Ryan."

I nodded, a smile on my face, "It's nice to meet you too, Ryan," I looked around the living room, "It's a beautiful house."

"Ah, thank you. It's all love and pride in here, so feel at home," he said to me.

I nodded again, "Actually, I'm amazed by the striking resemblance between you and Renée."

He chuckled, "I'm amazed by it, too." He took a seat on one of the couches in the living room and gestured for me to do the same. "But then, it makes it very evident that she's my daughter, and I like that."

"Yeah... she's quite a great person," I smiled at the thought of Renée.

"I'm glad you think so," Ryan nodded, leaning in the couch and resting his hands behind his head. "Interesting fact, when her mom called to tell me she was pregnant with her, I was listening to Walk Away Renée."

"The Left Banke?" I grinned.

"There's no way you know The Left Banke," Ryan sat up.

"Retro music is one of my things. The Left Banke is amazing," I smirked a little. "And I'm just saying, but She May Call You Up Tonight is their best song."

"Okay, that's where I'll disagree with you. Have you ever heard Pretty Ballerina? Now, that is their best song."

"I mean, I've listened to pretty much all songs by The Left Banke, including Pretty Ballerina. You can't compare the guitar chords in She May Call You Up Tonight with that."

Ryan chuckled, "You're making this hard for me."

"It's just facts," I shrugged, a smile on my face.

We soon heard Renée say in a loud voice from the kitchen, "Tanner! I was gonna eat that!"

I chuckled to myself when I heard Karly call, "Okay, that's it! Ryan, come get your kids out of this kitchen!"

"Nah, keep this kids! I'm having an interesting conversation with River!"

I chuckled again as Ryan looked back to me, "I'm actually impressed that you listen to The Left Banke. I always thought kids of nowadays would rather listen to Drake West."

I stifled a laugh, "Who?"

"Drake West," he said again. "The rapper."

This time, I couldn't stifle my laughter, "You mean Drake and Kanye West?"

He looked confused, "Are they two different rappers?"

My laughter reduced to chuckles as I nodded, "Yes, they are. You just merged their names."

Realizing this, Ryan burst into laughter, causing me to laugh again.

"You get the point, don't you?" He finally asked.

"I do," I nodded. "I love to listen to retro music when I work sometimes."

"Yes, my wife told me you're into art."