0.5 - Reincarnation & Reunion

"So...this is how it goes...huh?"

Looking around me, I see absolutely nothing, seeing nothing? Is that even possible?

The void...darkness...I don't even have a physical body.....

'How am I even able to exist? Is this the nothingness Ryuk was talking about?'

Well, this is going to get boring really quickly if this is all it is...

'This can't be it. This can't be the end, I was so god-damn close! Near, he was nowhere near my level, so how the hell did he win?!'

I could only focus on the past, not even the fact that my existence didn't make any sense, how did I even have a subconscious? Was it something to do with my soul? I couldn't even begin to hypothesize a theory.

'Bullshit.....bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!'

My destiny to be a God among humans was ruined by a kid, someone who didn't even compare to L.

'Fuck! What am I meant to do now?! Repent for my sins?! Screw that! I don't regret any of it, I was meant to be God! Ever since I got that notebook, I realized my destiny! My rotten world had to be fixed by force, if not then how was the garbage of the world meant to be exterminated from the rest?! Tell me who else would've done it?! Hah...70 percent, 70 percent of crime had been eradicated, I did that! No one could've ever even dreamed of getting close! So why? Why am I here?!'

Thinking out my deepest thoughts, I recalled something which I had chosen to suppress.

'I-I did get him killed...Soichiro Yagami...yes he was my father....yes he was my inspiration....he was the reason I even got so invested in justice.....I-he...'

Was I wrong...?

'He needed to die! He only hindered my operations, and would only continue to do so!'

But did he...? While thinking of my father, my mind was suddenly filled with many other people...

'.....Misa....Mikami....Takada....Watari......L.....how many more?'

Just how many did I kill?....I never really gave it that much thought...

'The Death note, was it really the only option? Could've I have lived a better life without it? But yet I did pick it up....Why? Why? Why?! If it wasn't me then someone else would've just done something worse, it's not my fault!'

Using another excuse, I would never blame myself, there was always going to be another scapegoat.

'Ryuk! It was his fault! If he never dropped it then my life would've never turned to this shit!'

I'm sorry....dad....it was my fault? It was all my fault. There's no doubting it now.

"Ho..ho..is that so? I thought we were closer Raito."

Suddenly I felt myself blinking...

'I can actually open my eyes? Wait wouldn't that mean?'

"W-wah, this...this is..."

Hearing my voice, I looked around me and saw the surrounding area. 'Empty' and 'Rotten' were the words that came to me first.

'Shinigami...realm...this has to be it...'

After taking in my surroundings, I concentrated on my old companion. Standing on a hill, I could see him with his usual smile.

"R-Ryuk?"

"Such an unenthusiastic reaction, I thought you would've been happier to see me."

The realization of who stood in front of me suddenly struck my mind. Immediately, my confusion turned into rage.