Sixth Year and Potions Class

Chapter 58: Sixth Year and Potions Class

"Very best of evening to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn,"

Horace stood then we clapped.

"Professor Slughorn has agreed to take his old post as Potions teacher. Now, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

We all looked at each other confused, but still clapped. He's the head of Slytherin house anyways.

I glanced at Draco. He isn't even clapping or talking. He isn't doing his daily routines like talking about Harry and stuff.

It's just weird...and not him.

"As you know, each and everyone of you, was searched upon your arrival here tonight, and you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man. Like you, sat at this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, and slept under this roof. A student like any other. His name...Tom Riddle." Dumbledore continued.

More students began to whisper and gasp.

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why as I stand looking out upon you all tonight. I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Everyday, every hour, this very moment...dark forces attempts to penetrate this castle walls. In the end, that greatest weapon is you. There is something to think about. Now off to bed." Dumbledore said.

All the students stood, including me.

I glanced at Draco then walked to him with a concern look. "Hey, are you alright?"

He didn't reply, he just stood then left me.

Again.

———

*the next day*

"Preparation is the prerequisite of all- ah, Harry my boy, I was beginning to worry! You brought someone I see?" Slughorn said.

"Ron Weasley, sir," Ron said with a smile.

I heard a girl sigh from between Hermione and I.

Hermione and I turned to look at the girl.

Oh, just Lavender.

"I'm dead awful at potions- a menace, actually, so I'll just probably go." Ron continued then turned to leave.

"Nonsense!" Slughorn said, smiling. "I'll teach you how. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."