Like me

Axel's POV

My dad glares at me from across the table, silently gesturing for me to give Hazel some of my food.

I sigh as mouth to him, "She already ate."

He shakes his head at me angrily. "Hazel, sweetheart. Come here." He calls her for over and I sigh, shaking my head.

Why can't he just let her be?

I said she's fine.

Hazel stirs under the table and crawls out on the other side by my dad. "Here, Doll." He rips a piece of bread off of his piece before dipping it in his soup and bringing it down to her.

Her face lights up in delight as he offers it to her and she reaches forward, grabbing his wrist, so he can't move it away as she leans down to take it from his hand.

She pauses though, it almost in her mouth. Her eyes go to me and I see uncertainty brood. I'm about to just tell her to let my dad eat in peace, but the welling up tears in her eyes make me pause.

"Axel," my dad snaps.

"Go ahead." She wastes no time, taking the food from his hand. A soft moan leaves her lips as she chews on the soft bread. I silently curse, feeling my pants getting tighter at the sinful sound.

She closes her eyes, her features softening to show pure bliss. I pause in my own eating, watching at tears start to drip down her face.

"More?" My dad asks her, seeing her tears as well. She opens her eyes and nods vigorously, not even caring about her tears as she greedily takes the bread my dad offers her again. "Good girl," my dad praises her, gently patting her head as she finishes off another piece of bread. "Do you like it?" She nods her head, finally wiping her tears away.

He gently brushes the last away with his hand and she sniffles, "Do you want to try some soup?" He asks her and she looks to me.

I nod my head, too embarrassed by her starved reaction to do anything else.

My dad gives her his bowl of soup and gets up, pouring himself a new bowl.

She pounds it all down, not stopping for a second. Even once it's all gone, she doesn't give up. She lifts the bowl up and licks the inside. "More?" My dad asks her, us both seeming surprised with how much she's eating.

She nods and my brows rise. I never knew such a small person could eat so much.

My soup has gone cold by now. I've been to infatuated with Hazel to even bother tending to it. Me and my dad have forgotten our own dinners by now, just watching Hazel guzzle down soup like her life depends on it.

"More?" My dad asks her once she's done with that bowl and she nods. My dad gets up to get her another bowl and I stop him.

"Hazel, you're going to make yourself sick." I know she's had way too much soup in a short period of time for this to be healthy. She pouts, but doesn't argue. "Let your food sit and if you're hungry later, you can have more."

My dad places her bowl in the sink and nods, silently agreeing with my verdict.

"Can I please have water?" She asks me and I nod. My dad gets her a water glass while he is up and she takes it, thanking him.

We eat the rest of dinner in silence.

————

I sigh, opening up the linen closet. "Is that your mom?" Hazel asks me, leaning against the side of the sofa, examining a photo of my mom which sits beside the sofa.